Britishness vs Englishness

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by KGB_resident, Feb 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/01/international/01letter.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Your comments?

2. Pretty simple really.

Anyone with the right passport can call themselves British but only the English can call themselves English.

3. So who is Rt.hon.learned mr.Howard, former Conservative leader? Can he call himself English? Or Welsh? Or only British?

4. The same goes with the Agincourt 'Pre French getting their arses kicked' Speech...

5. my dads irish, my mums welsh, i was born in england, i consider myself more 'british' than english.

6. I used to call myself British till I realised how despised the English are by the rest of the constituent parts of the UK! Since then I've said I'm English.

7. michael howard can trace his roots to romania as his parents fled there mid 30s early 40s

8. As the man says, your passport says you are British, your soul tells you that you are English.

And a love of cider :wink:

9. Agreed. The French call the UK Angleterre, which equals England. They teach them that at school, and when I tried to convince my sister (who is in France) she should tell her teacher they were wrong, she said I was wrong! Personaly, I think that's the French being awkward (Sacre Bleu!), and refusing to ackknowledge the empire that England indeed founded.

As a welshman, it irritates the hell out of me, most of the world regards Britain as England, and most English play along. When I was asked by English people living in France when I was returning to England, I replied I'm wasn't. So when they said why not, I would reply I don't live in England. Fast forward a few seconds, whilst their brain chews this over, and after the penny had dropped they gave me an obviously disgusted "oh...".

Anyway, at the end of the day, it's not ideal, but sod it, theres more important things in life to worry about. Personally, I'm pretty happy about my roots in Wales, but I'm also fond of us as British. End of story.

10. My docs said that I am Brit/Eng I know I am English !! But I wonder why is there no English parliment?

11. English

And did those feet in ancient time
    Walk upon England’s mountains green?
    And was the Holy Lamb of God
    On England’s pleasant pastures seen?
    And did the Countenance Divine
    Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
    And was Jerusalem builded here
    Among these dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
    Bring me my arrows of desire!
    Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
    Bring me my chariot of fire!
    I will not cease from mental fight,
    Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
    Till we have built Jerusalem
    In England’s green and pleasant land.

12. Is it forever or after 10-20 years you could feel yourself English?

My grandmother was born in Catholic Polish family. She didn't speak Russian in her childhood. But eventually became Russian, called herself Russian, attended Russian Orthodox Church. And nobody doubted her Russian-ness despite her obviously non Russian name Malvina.

Is something like this possible in England?

13. Its certainly possible in most parts of Britain - look at the arabs with cockney accents, fed up with the racial hatred thrown their way. They argue they are British, and in our tolerant multicultural system (like the French's, except the tolerant bit), I'd agree with them on their genuine say so.

14. That's just the French for you. They also teach their children that they had the biggest empire the world has ever seen. I had an argument with a Frog about this and they seem to think that their empire of vast tracts of sandy Sahara 'trumped' our empire that included most of North America and India! He had never heard the phrase "The sun never sets on the British Empire".

15. A Romanian Immigrant :twisted: