British Youth "50 hours voluntary work"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Tremaine, Apr 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Every young person will have to do 50 hours' voluntary work by the age of 19 if Labour wins the next election.
    Minsiters said a plan for compulsory community service would be included in Labour's manifesto, due to the fact that British young people consume 67 percent of Britain's resources and all they have to show for it is tons of fecal waste that is processed and disposed off of Britain's shores.

Under the scheme, the work - which could include helping charities in the UK and abroad - is likely to become part of the national curriculum. It would be integrated into moves to make everyone stay in education or training until 18 by 2011.

Writing in the Sunday papers, a spokesman said he wanted community service to be " a normal part of growing up in Britain".

It is estimated that 40 percent of Britain's crime rate will be reduced when youth are directed into the work force.

Crimes like petty theft, arson, vandalism, assault, murder, and making ugly faces at adults are among the types of crimes which will be reduced.

He went on: "The contributions of each of us will build a better society for all of us.

"That would mean young people being expected to contribute at least 50 hours of community service by the time they have reached the age of 19. This creates more responsible adults in the future and causes a reduction in the homeless population that's been polluting Trafalgar square for years.

"This will build on the platform provided by citizenship classes as they develop in our schools. But because the greater part of what I envisage as community service takes place outside the school day, it will require the close involvement of local community organisations and charities."

Lobbyists proposed the idea of a National Youth Service to channel teenagers into voluntary work last year. It is due to be formally launched in September, and would become compulsory if Labour was re-elected.
  2. Come on, We all know for one second that this will NEVER happen, its one of those things that is brought up in the "what do the public want to hear" meetings.
    Got a link to it anyway?, seems very "un-professional" bit of journalism.
  3. Is that 50 hours a week or 50 hours during the whole 19 years ??
  4. Compulsory, unpaid work....

Isn't that called slavery?

5. My bold. WAH! 8O
  6. Fraid not guys. Wish it were a WAH. My kids will be cleaning windows and emptying bins before they are 18 :cry:
  7. Linky to BBC coverage of story

Of course, I'm sure that charities will be delighted at all the hoops they have to jump through to be checked, vetted, etc, etc, etc to ensure (or not) the safety of their under-18 volunteers, particularly if they don't work with children at the moment and don't have to do this sort of form-filling.

Likewise, what sanctions are there going to be for the kids who decide that they couldn't care less and won't lift a finger to help (probably to imprison the parents, on current government form)?

Or who volunteer for some community organisation which they like the sound of, only to realise that they really aren't suited to helping? Will they be allowed to swap?

And finally, has Brown - who should know these things having studied courage so thoroughly for his book on the subject - never heard the adage that a volunteer is better than a pressed man, let alone a pressed schoolchild?
  8. Good. Parents who don't make their kids do chores, create lazy, workshy, selfish adults.
    Before I got packed off to boarding school at the age of eleven, my routine chores included washing the car, mowing the lawn, emptying the bins, cleaning windows, washing up and ironing my own clothes.
    I may not have appreciated it at the time, but I certainly do now. It helped make me independent and self-sufficient, years ahead of my peers.
  9. I didn't know making ugly faces at adults was a crime. I can't help the way I look. :cry:

My view on this subject is that it is clearly a ploy to get people voting labour. (They have to do much more than this). They've said they will bring it in if they are re-elected. Why could'nt they do it in the 12 years so far while they have been in charge? Are people so stupid that they will forget what a s1ithole Britain's become (in that 12 years) and vote labour because they "promise" to bring in a rubbish version of national service that, if it did happen, would never work anyway. Didn't labour promise a referendum on the EU treaty in the last labour manifesto?
  10. Wot utter bollocks,

Britain's youth are directed into this workforce. Fully employed in murder, gbh, burglary, car theft and vandalism. They haven't got 50 hours left for anything else.
  11. How long have they had to come up with a good idea and they do it now... Hmmm Why now I wonder? Is it because they are hated for destroying this country and bringing us to the edge of a total financial meltdown and are fearing they will disappear into the background come the next election.

Far too little - Far too late.

Besides, Fifty Hours? They could comfortably achieve that in 2 weeks without missing a school day or an episode of X Factor. 500 hours. Then we'd be talking useful figures that could make a difference.
  12. Compulsory voluntary Labour. :?

It's a little bit like saying mass surveillance and state control gives the public greater protection and freedom.

It had to come from this intellectually vacuous government. :x
  13. Does this mean that Community Service as punishment for crimes will revert to breaking rocks on a bread and water diet?

There'll have to be a difference between Community Service as a compulsory duty and Community Service as a punishment.

Personally, I'd have the unemployed engaged in painting kerbstones white. Scrap their benefits and replace it with a wage. 'Course, you'd have to be careful with the Conditions of Engagement, otherwise they'd all be retiring at 50 on a final-salary pension.
  14. I wonder if the 14 year old acne ridden yooves will have to wear a bright orange vest with "community payback" written on it?
  15. I hope it is in their manifesto for the next election....... and the next 5 after that.