British woman Anna Campbell killed fighting with Kurdish militia in Syria

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Becoming any form of mercenary means taking chances.

ugly

LE
Not my play pen but I'll have a go!

That same argument could be used for those who went out to join ISIS.

It's nothing more than the terrorist/freedom fighter dichotomy.
It's a worn out cliche

ISIS want to destroy the western world and subsume all cultures and religions under the flag of a perverse ideology and are prosecuting this with "war crimes, crimes against humanity and acts of genocide

The Kurds basically want to survive, unopressed with a geographically designed territory they can call their own

GO KURDS I say

It's a worn out cliche

ISIS want to destroy the western world and subsume all cultures and religions under the flag of a perverse ideology and are prosecuting this with "war crimes, crimes against humanity and acts of genocide

The Kurds basically want to survive, unopressed with a geographically designed territory they can call their own

GO KURDS I say
Something of an over-simplification of the situation. But it helps to illustrate the point, however clichéd, that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

As a point of interest, HMG, the EU and NATO all list the PKK as a terrorist organisation.

Something of an over-simplification of the situation. But it helps to illustrate the point, however clichéd, that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

As a point of interest, HMG, the EU and NATO all list the PKK as a terrorist organisation.
Was this listing more to keep Johny Turk on side?

Was this listing more to keep Johny Turk on side?
Probably and it didn't seem to work. After all how'd you think the tens of thousands of ISIS and Al Nusra Front fighters managed to get in to Syria in the first place ? I'm not defending the PKK but unlike Daesh they;re not waging war on Western society

She 'begged her Kurdish commanders to send her to the Afrin front after Turkey launched a ground and air offensive to oust Kurdish forces from its borderlands in January'

Like the UK Turkey is a member of NATO. An attack on one NATO member is an attack on all NATO members (Article 5), therefore she is by the accepted definition a terrorist.
Definition of terrorist - a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

What political aim was she fighting against Turkey?

She 'begged her Kurdish commanders to send her to the Afrin front after Turkey launched a ground and air offensive to oust Kurdish forces from its borderlands in January'

Like the UK Turkey is a member of NATO. An attack on one NATO member is an attack on all NATO members (Article 5), therefore she is by the accepted definition a terrorist.
Article 5 has only been used once ( Guess when ?) It wasn't used when the IRA were waging war on Britain or ETA were bombing Spaniards for example

Article 5 has only been used once ( Guess when ?) It wasn't used when the IRA were waging war on Britain or ETA were bombing Spaniards for example
After 9/11.

Definition of terrorist - a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

What political aim was she fighting against Turkey?
My understanding is that to be regarded as a 'soldier at war' in the conventional sense at least one of the belligerents would have to declare war on the other. Neither Turkey or the YPG have done so as far as I know. Those that bear arms against another country without declaring war on it are generally regarded as terrorists, whatever their aim.

My understanding is that to be regarded as a 'soldier at war' in the conventional sense at least one of the belligerents would have to declare war on the other. Neither Turkey or the YPG have done so as far as I know. Those that bear arms against another country without declaring war on it are generally regarded as terrorists, whatever their aim.
Could the Kurds technically declare war anyway. They aren't a recognised state as far as I know.

Except that it appears that this is an attack by Turkey on Kurdish troops in Syria, so not quite an attack on Turkey. Turkey's record on minority rights isn't good and hasn't been for 100+ years. My regimental history records people being unhappy at the armistice stopping the advance in 1918 as the Turks were known to be slaughtering Armenians just up the road. I don't suppose the Kurds are much better but it might be argued they have had a lot of provocation.

A British woman has been killed fighting alongside Kurdish armed forces in northern Syria.

A true hero in my eyes (sobs)...

View attachment 327068
Anna Campbell was volunteering with the Kurdish Women's Protection Units (YPJ) - the all-female brigade of the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) - in the besieged city of Afrin when she died on Thursday

It is feared she was killed by a Turkish airstrike.

The 26-year-old from Lewes in East Sussex is the first British woman to have been killed in Syria fighting with the Kurds.

Seven other Britons have died in the country fighting alongside Kurdish groups.

Mark Campbell, co-chairman of the Kurdistan solidarity campaign, described Ms Campbell, who is no relation to him, as an "inspiration" and a "hero".

"Anna is a woman who seemed to have more humanity in her little finger than the whole of the international community," he said.

"I did not know her but I met with her father this morning. I have the utmost respect and condolences for her family."

When will this stupidity end though seriously?
He s right in that she's done more than he has, ( Campbell that is ) the tw@t. My first reaction is to phuk him off there to see how much "humanity" he has, the c@ck with the crocodile tears. This is a phukt up war in a phukt up region with no quarter given or taken, no PoWs or proper med care and the best thing would be to keep idiots away. Sorry, but as tragic as her death is, theres big boys rules out there, and it aint pretty. Getting involved means being part of the problem, not the solution - if there ever is one.