British two-ton ‘Dragon gun’ terrifies Taliban

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Mar 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Sunday Times
    March 29, 2009
    British two-ton ‘Dragon gun’ terrifies Taliban
    Michael Smith

BRITISH commandos have hauled a two-ton artillery gun up a 130ft cliff by hand to protect a vital strategic outpost in Afghanistan.

The weapon, which was installed under cover of night, has been so effective in guarding the town of Musa Qala in northern Helmand that the Taliban have nicknamed it “the Dragon” because of the flame that belches out of its barrel when fired.

The 105mm gun was dismantled and rebuilt at the summit of a rocky outcrop, known as the Roshan Tower, using techniques traditionally demonstrated at the Royal Tournament. Gunners from 29 Commando Regiment Royal Artillery, normally based in Plymouth, faced a logistical challenge because the cliff face was riddled with deep cracks that threatened to crumble under the weight of the gun.
    More on the link
  2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

does the commentator on the story have a point? are we that short of helicopter lift it had to be put in place in this manner?
  3. I think he's pitching the stealthy way it was positioned

“The move was done at night to keep the gun secret from the enemy, with Gurkhas providing close protection on the hills and cliffs around. Once in place, the gun was camouflaged to prevent the enemy realising the new threat to them.”

I guess slinging it from a Chinook would have lost them that first shot "oh fook!" effect :)
  4. I wondered about the heli option myself at first, but as mentioned above. A heli insertion is not the most stealthy method of getting a gun in their.

Well done, 29, and may the "Dragon Guns" Fire have the desired effect. :D

(New gate guard for the Battery lines in the making?)
  5. Not quite a 2 ton gun, but a very good effort from the boy's at 29 !
  6. 29 Commando Regiment rumour control has it that the same trick was performed with a 105mm Pack Howitzer in the '60s in Borneo - maybe some of the old boys can confirm this?

The story seems to imply that the gun is a new weapon - I remember 29 equipping with them in the mid-1970s.

Well done to the lads of 'Black 8' anyway.
  7. Not wishing to diminish the achievements of the Gunners, I rather fancy the techniques had little to do with those one show by the (now defunct) gun teams of the Royal Tournament.

Also.... did 29 ever compete in the Gun Run? I thought it was a Navy thing. Or are the journos confusing the difference between a Naval Bde and the Royal Marines.
  8. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The Gun run is very much alive the biggy being the play off of Portsmouth, Plymouth and the RNAS but there is a 'minor league' which includes RM and commando teams other army and even crabs.
  9. Ah, lugging artillery up the sides of mountains... finest tradition within the British Army! Right back to the British attack on Fort Ticonderoga -- Mt Defiance was a rocky hill overlooked the fort. The British leader, Major General William Phillips decided to bombard the fort from the heights of Mt Defiance, and when questioned on just how he proposed to get the field guns up the hill answered: "Where a goat can go, a man can go; and where a man can go, he can drag a gun."

Well done 29!
  10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Captain Hoste lugged a gun from hias ship up a mountain in Dalmatia to fire down on some Frogs during the Napoleonic Wars - Frogs said it was unfair!

PS the landing of guns from HMS Powerful in S Africa was by no means the first time the RN has bailed out Percy like that - it was also done during the Indian Mutiny to help relieve the Siege of Lucknow.
  11. Did not PDLB do something similiar with a .30 BMG on Jebel Akhdar?
  12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I think PFLA went up a mountain with a pistol once.
  13. Not a new idea either as I seem to remember alexander the great put a number of archers up a cliff overlooking a seemingly invincible fort to persuade the defenders to give up and they did. (oh and for those that know me no I was'nt there!)
  14. I take it he wasn't that "man" :)

I bet he was well popular for that idea :D