British troops will march on the Red square in Moscow soon

mac1 said:
wonder if they'll goose step like the natives?
When In Rome (I mean Moscow)

Magic

I thought British servicemen had already been on parade on Red Square at least once in recent years? Two or three years ago there was a gathering of pipe bands, and I'm sure there were Gurkhas and Jocks from regular units amongst them.

Well, it's only right -- we did win the Cold War after all... ;)

Alsacien

MIA
I have read there may have been a few Brits and US servicemen mixed in with the German POW's that were "marched" through in 1945.....

Even the Cheese eating Surrender monkeys have done that in 1812

4(T) said:
I thought British servicemen had already been on parade on Red Square at least once in recent years? Two or three years ago there was a gathering of pipe bands, and I'm sure there were Gurkhas and Jocks from regular units amongst them.
Band of the Royal Corps of Signals (which includes Queen's Gurkha Signals pipers) was there a while back.

General Mike Jackson mentions he was in Moscow on a couple of different occassions in his book 'Soldier', quite possibly British Squaddies marched on the Square during the times he was out there.

I wonder if the Russians will be parading their missiles made from plywood and tinfoil too.

September 2009,

REME Pipes & Drums of 102 Battalion spent over a week in uniform in Moscow, including marching up and down (or at least blowing their own trumpets in) Red Square AND a guided tour of normally off limits areas of Kremlin Palace.

Despite a couple of hic-ups band member stated "It was easily one of the best tours of our careers thanks to our generous hosts who did everything in their power to look after us and keep us entertained"

Source: 'The Craftsman' Jan 2010

At the Kremlin Zoria in Sept 2007 the following British regimental pipes and drums marched onto Red Square:

Ist Batt The Scots Guards
1st Batt The Royal Scots Borderers, The Royal Regiment of Scotland
3rd Batt The Black Watch, The Royal Regiment of Scotland
4th Batt The Highlanders, The Royal Regiment of Scotland
2nd Batt The Royal Gurkha Rifles
The Royal Signals
The Combined Scottish Universites OTCs

We had a full tour and attended a function within the Kremlin. We were well hosted and each group had a "Charming" young guide, mine was elena!

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
As a Russophile I find the Napoleon reference a little below the belt.

Napoleon wasnt French he was Corsican which is like saying Welsh are English people. Close but no cigar. That said he got well stuffed at Waterloo by an Irishman, (Wellington didnt have piles which may have been a crucial difference) so its evens on that score.

Latest Threads