British troops toxic chemical exposure in Iraq?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Jun 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From Courthouse News Service in the US. Anyone got anything on this? Exact location not identified in this article.

edited to add article date - June 10, 2009

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

IIRC therte was a thread about his last year in what was the multinational bit perhaps it's now in the US forum

I'm sure I've read very similler on here some where

3. Thanks for that.

There seems to be a fair amount on the web related to this, although the report I posted is a new one.

Location Qarmat Ali?

4. Hackle will check. I think the article from last year related to a Water treatment works in Northern Iraq. Will check with the man in Portland for the full detail.

Does beg the question, as to what substances BRITFOR may have been exposed to during the six years of TELIC?

There are quite a few members here, who will have witnessed firsthand the Iraqi "inshallah" approach to COSHH and also the far from adequate (understatement of the year) handling and storage of chemicals used in both ministries and outside agencies in Iraq.

5. Thanks ABrighter2006.

I originally failed to highlight in the Courthouse News report that British troops had allegedly been exposed to the contamination. Quick web searches suggest the site was the Qarmat Ali water treatment plant on the North side of Basrah. US National Guard troops were also allegedly exposed to the contamination.

6. There is a good deal of US Military generated hazmat in Iraq.Various attempts to contract to clean it up,have failed due to the costs of such an operation.Neither US nor Iraq are signatories to the Basle convention,that regulates the cross border movement of hazmat.Looks like it will just be buried in some big holes in the desert!

7. Interesting point, muhandis. On Qarmat Ali, there is quite a lot on the web and some of it specifically states that British troops were involved.

Therefore one assumes that this is old news to everybody directly involved, and that those British service personnel concerned have long since been identified and approached by the service authorities and appropriately briefed and offered tests, etc. This is not a question of causing unnecessary concern (I write as one with personal experience of the Gulf War Syndrome saga). As the contamination claims are already out there, individuals may already have concerns or may have them in the future without having the reassurance of expert advice.

I am hoping from the reports that with any luck, only a comparatively small number of British personnel might have been potentially exposed to this particular hazard. The issue could also concern British civilian 'contractors' and others.

As an example of the information already out there in the public domain:

Web source - Senate Democratic Policy Committee Hearing - “The Exposure at Qarmat Ali: Contractor Misconduct and the Safety of U.S. Troops in Iraq”

8. The occupational exposure Limit is 0.005 mg/m3. But this elemental form of Chromium is a genotoxic carcinogen and the above statement is a bit like saying VX agent could give you a mild dose of diarrhoea. And the damage can be passed on to their offspring. I hope the US Courts take these feckers to the cleaners financially and jail some guilty barstewards as well.