British Troops to be pulled out of Sangin.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by arclight999, Jul 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's been suggested for a long time that the dangerous parts of the British mission would be handed over to the Americans. I suspect Brown, Milliband and the shameful Labour party cutting a deal a while back when the casualties were increasing
  2. This has to be a good thing. It shouldn't be seen as failure or as a retreat and especially not that the Spams are bailing us out, despite what may be construed in the press. It certainly doesn't defame the reputation of the British Army in anyway, nor make pointless the sacrifice that has been made by so of many of our soldiers.

What it does do is highlight the fact that this is an unwinnable and pointless war foisted upon us by the beligerent and useless non entity that was the previous government, who realised that public opinion was against it and ergo, them. Boommoob is right, this was orchestrated by cyclops and his cronies a long time before now.
  3. Didn't we rotate from a relatively safe deployment to Helmond a couple of years ago? I suppose it's only right that troops should rotate around Afg and take their share of the harder areas. It allows old sweats to affect an air of superiority when they talk about their tours "when it really was a war".
  4. There is more to this than meets the eye. I don't think the Americans are too impressed by the way the Britis send a new team in every six months each with it's own twist of how to get the job done and not really achieving a great deal. Not sure if the Americans will achieve more success by having a more consistent approach, but it seems they want to give it a try.

When all is said and done, the Helman deployment will go down as a poorly pla ned, poorly supported and poorly led episode in our history. The Eton educated leaders have been given too free a hand to do as they wish and the six month rotation has done nothing to help on the ground.

Nothing, however, should be taken from the immense bravery of those who fought there.
  5. Take a leaf out of the Israeli book, and plough the shite hole flat,
  6. If so it would be about time.Nobody can fail to be impressed by the tenacity and professionalism that has been demonstrated by the troops at the sharp end of this operation.The only failure has been Political with an extended period of limited commitment,vision and cohesion that has beggared belief.I hope this is the start of a total withdrawal from Afghanistan.
  7. cant wait to here terry take on this!! some how I think they will be making the most out of it
  8. Are you suggesting that tours should be longer than 6 months?
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'd like to have suggest that we didnt get involved in the first place. Its a bloody mess and I often wonder if our senior officers were a bit too keen to retain operational experience after NI wound down!
    I really hope I am in tin foil hat territory there!
  10. …and the politicians marched out in good order and with heads held high and called it 'victory'.
  11. So should the Secretary for Defence tell all and sundry the reasons for this withdrawal?

Personally, I don't think so as it can only aid the enemy.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Withdrawal or rotation?

13. And you think Terry can't work it out for himself snoozy?
  14. Chuffed to fuck. Will save more than a few lives in 3 PARA who were looking to take over the Marines.