British Troops, Taliban In a Tug of War Over Afghan Province

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Mar 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. British Troops, Taliban In a Tug of War Over Afghan Province
    In One Town, a Small Force Battles for Yards of Ground

Helmand province in Afghanistan has changed hands repeatedly between British and Taliban forces since the Taliban government was toppled in 2001. The British have lost 89 troops in the province, where violence surged 60 percent last year. U.S. Marines are scheduled to deploy to the province this summer.

By Ann Scott Tyson
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, March 30, 2008; Page A01

GARMSIR, Afghanistan -- Perched on the banks of the Helmand River, this desolate town occupied by British forces marks Afghanistan's de facto border: Beyond here, the Afghan government is powerless and Taliban insurgents hold sway, their ranks replenished by recruits who enter unchallenged from Pakistan.

British Troops, Taliban In a Tug of War Over Afghan Province
    Helmand: Afghanistan's Taliban Border
    Scenes From the Battle for Helmand
    "Everything you see to your south . . . that's all enemy territory," said Lt. Nicholas Moran, a platoon leader from Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, Royal Gurkha Rifles, using binoculars to survey Taliban fighters from the roof of a mud-brick compound east of Garmsir. Seconds later, he ducked as a rocket-propelled grenade whistled overhead.
    More on the link
  2. I was just about to post the same report on the "Afghan Fighting" thread - why did you not? :?
  3. I did! If I think it of particular interest I also double post it for the less serious who may not read the Afghan thread.
  4. Excellent news, if there is one thing the British Army have been good at, it's tug of war. Are 40 Field still up for it??