British troops set to hand frontline Afghanistan role to US

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Jan 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Military officials said British commanders were prepared to leave Kajaki, home to a massive hydroelectric power station to which they brought a turbine in a memorable and daring operation in 2008; and Musa Qala, which was the scene of a botched peace deal in 2006. But they are uncomfortable leaving Sangin because of the district’s symbolic importance. The area around Sangin’s district centre, at the junction of two rivers in the deadly green zone, has exacted the highest toll of British Forces.

About time too or the second British defeat in three years?

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Whole OP's been a cluster fuck from the get go, so what ever the politicians and COC go with it'll go tits up.
  3. the 2nd defeat in 3 years? what was the 1st? Jim
  4. Oh dear, oh dear. It'll now go most horribly and disastrously wrong. Mark my words!

5. And everything has gone swimmingly well before this proposed handover...
  6. When I left there earlier in 2009 watching the build up from my Sangar the last thing I was saying was this is going horribly wrong. In fact it was I am here too early. Similar to the airborne forces who left before me and the Royal Marine Corps who left at the same time.
  7. That makes about as much sense as Labour's fiscal policy. Word to the wise......don't post drunk.
  8. I for one will be happy to see the US take over... The Brit approach has not worked... No dissrespect to the brave lads who have served and lost their lives there, not their fault in any way.
    Political stuff needs to be sorted out and they need to reevaluate the whole strategy.
    Heady mix of opium growing and terrorists will not easily go away... At least in Columbia it's only drugs / gangs.....
  9. Are you sure? Columbia has its fair share of terrorist gangs, even if they don't often make in to the European news/area.

Didn't FARC train IRA chappies not to long ago? That would be the same FARC who pretty much 'own' vast swathes of Colombia.
  10. Sorry yes you are quite correct - at least they don't want to take over the world though!
  11. I've read that article twice and its contention still makes no sense to me. As I understand it, it says that there are plans to hand over security of Kajaki Dam to US forces so we can concentrate ours on the main population centres like Sangin. Given that the Sangin area is the site of the most fierce fighting and that we have no plans to leave there for a while yet, the truth is actually quite the reverse. I'm struggling to see how the Sunday Times writers/subs came up with that headline frankly.

More bollocks on stilts.
  12. The more yanks in Helmand the better in my opinion. The British will never have enough troops there to contain the enemy.
  13. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Quite correct. The reason why Kajaki is reasonably quiet is because we don't have enough troops there to go out of the bases and take the figh tto the enemy. We are hemmed in by belts of IEDs, and without more troops and more Helicopters we cannot do anything about it. The Yanks have more troops, more helis, and the will to act. We do not.
  14. To clarify my statement - between Herrick 8 & 9 the best fighting forces in the world where on the ground at the same time. Even then the talk was of a few years in the future to finish the job and we where part of a building up process and a holding force. This involved infrastructure such as Bastion I,II,III etc. One of these camps was later renamed Leatherneck and troops from that nation where arriving then and manning it. At this stage I can not see what has gone horribly wrong?
  15. One problem which will arise is that once Helmand is saturated with more troops, many more will succumb to IED's. If we bolster the Sangin area we will no doubt lose more blokes to these devices considering it has a very high IED threat. I should expect that this years death toll will be higher than last years.