British Troops Pulling Out Of Basra Palace

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by flynavy, Sep 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The BBC

SK :( Stay Safe out there. Heads down and get out of the god forsaken place ASAP.

2. The sooner we are out of Iraq the better IMO. It's a no win situation, a drain on our forces and funding and resources better spent in Afghanistan.

3. here here ill second that :!:

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I thought we learnt lessons from our history? Surely even killing all the current batch of Talibans or whoever will only lead to another generation coming back later. No disrespect to our troops and their endeavours intended, only to Dr John "out with no shots fired" Reid!

5. To me the main difference is that the Iraqi people are fighting each other which in the end will result in civil war. Afghanistan is different. It is mostly Pakistanis coming in to stir up the trouble. The Afghans, or the vast majority want peace.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thanks for the insight mate and best of luck for your next tour, cant be far off now can it?
    Edited to agree with getting out of Iraq, I dont think we should have turned up for it in the first place. There is no way my sons are getting tied up in the mess that Blair left us, thats his fecking legacy alright!
    Broon will sooner or later count the costs and pull out from Afghanistan as well!
    At least in my day the worst you faced was a few months in Ulster with alcohol poisoning on the following sunshine tour!

7. It can't come quickly enough mate! I think we'll be a bit disappointed this time round though because of our role in theatre which i can't obviously say for OPSEC.

8. I pray no-one gets injured or loses their life in this withdrawal. I also hope that the (now) biggest target in town does not suffer more casualties as a result.

9. No foothold in the city, is going to make it very difficult to get back in if we are needed to do so.

10. I think we'd leave it for the yanks TBH.

11. Only time will tell i guess.

12. The start of interesting times I think.

I suspect the yanks will be watching closely to see what happens to the first major city handed back over to the civil powers.

The local authority can't snap their fingers and expect the brits to come running now, I expect some power play in the short term of course but the way the Iraqi's run things it should quieten down rapidly.

Who ends up as top dog is, of course, another matter.....

13. The top dog has also got to survive long enough!!!

14. In this game its last man standing wins..... :wink: