British troops may not complete Iraq mission says Miliband

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr._Average, Aug 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "British troops may not return to southern Iraq to finish their mission in the country, David Miliband has admitted. "

Well, that would seem like that, then. Time to pack up whatever / whoever is left and leave. Perhaps now would also be a good time to have a proper look at some of the original decisions that took us there in the first place.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article6738450.ece

2. Still a small contingent with the NATO Training Mission, covered by a separate NATO agreement which runs for a while yet.

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Anybody would think we actually want to be there. Who cares if we don't go back, its their country let them get on with it.

4. Agree with your view that it is probably a good time to pack up and leave them to it, but not so sure about the review of decisions. Without wishing to turn this into another thread, I always recall Gen Mike Jackson's phrase of "we are where we are". I am not convinced that raking over old coals with the glorious gift of hindsight will achieve anything. Everyone who wants to do this has some 'noble' reason in mind, but given that every future operaiton we conduct will be unique and different from the situation in Iraq I don't see what we (the Army) would gain from this type of thing except allow a lot of people to say "I told you so". IN which case lets give all of these people the time and space to say that without having to be exposed to their 20/20 hindsight.
    whf

5. [

Agree with your view that it is probably a good time to pack up and leave them to it, but not so sure about the review of decisions. Without wishing to turn this into another thread, I always recall Gen Mike Jackson's phrase of "we are where we are". I am not convinced that raking over old coals with the glorious gift of hindsight will achieve anything. Everyone who wants to do this has some 'noble' reason in mind, but given that every future operaiton we conduct will be unique and different from the situation in Iraq I don't see what we (the Army) would gain from this type of thing except allow a lot of people to say "I told you so". IN which case lets give all of these people the time and space to say that without having to be exposed to their 20/20 hindsight.
    whf[/quote]

I think it's political decisions that need examining

6. I think it's political decisions that need examining[/quote]

Agree wholeheartedly. However, even if we get a review/inquiry which highlights that very poor political decisions were taken will that prevent equally poor political decisions being taken in the future? Doubt it. My reluctance to support the groundswell about an inquiry/review is that I think that it will not achieve anything except give the opportunity for lots of people to air their opinions/prejudices about how they would have done things differently. In the absence of a time machine I am not sure how much that would actually help the Army in its current (and even its future) fights.
    whf

7. However it is painted it personally smacks of a defeat to me, reasons for not being there aside I feel we left without completing the job at hand, yes we would not have turned Basra into some sort of Eutopia but it seems as if we gave up half-way through and took the fire exit out, whether this is true or not I dont know but I dont think it has done our militaries reputation globally any favours and has reduced our effectiveness in Afghanistan which if forced to choose there is a better reasoning for being there (I think)

8. Has the penny just droped for Mili on this one?

9. C'mon 'Alvin', it is not the 'child - banana man' saying this, it is the prime minister: Mandelson.

He, Mandelson, pulls the strings; he says 'what is what'; he tells the oaf 'Brown' what to say; he tells the other incompetent ninnies what to do;

I would like to know: WHY?

The man Mandelson is a disgraced politician - end of.

10. We have a Labour government, a victory in there eyes, a withdrawal = good.

11. Reassuring that at least somebody has noticed. It's a pity that the Government, the MOD and PJHQ don't seem to either know or care! 8O