British troops kill 20 in ambushes

"About 20 were killed and 13 captured," the spokesman said, adding that some Iraqis were being treated for wounds.

"We regret they were forced to respond but we will protect our lives," he said.

Now, I'd like to think that our boys didn't treat the captured ragheads with kidgloves after the crap from the Mirror. "Please sir, I'm just going to put plasti-cuffs on your hands, if that's okay, and mind your step as you get in the back of the Landrover". Maybe Moron will now realise what the situation is really like as he contemplates life on the dole.

good to see though that our guys still manage to extract under fire , treat casualties , and get plenty of rounds down without the need to call in 75,000 tons of ordanance onto the grid square in question.But as you say gunny lets hope our guys dont feel hog tied by some hand wringing apologists and still manage to stay focused.

E

error_unknown

What form, and how many years from now, will the Blowback from the actions and deeds of Brits and US Forces (not to mention the rag tag remainder of the "coalition") in Iraq take? I hear Chalmers Johnson's work Blowback was a hot seller in Europe (the US panned it before 911) pre911. Chalmers all but predicted the US 911 and he has gone on to publish Sorrows of Empire to bring America's Empire up to date where the British Empire (now merely a "poodle") left off.

Ra, ra, shish, bomb, blah.

"Cerebral showers don't necessarily clean the mind as the water may be polluted." -Ensign Flag Parker

E

error_unknown

Generalquarters said:
What form, and how many years from now, will the Blowback from the actions and deeds of Brits and US Forces (not to mention the rag tag remainder of the "coalition") in Iraq take?
Alternatively, how much goodwill will we create by doing our best to bring democracy and liberty to the Middle East? I can't recall how many times I was thanked by Iraqis for getting rid of Saddam (not that I had anything to do with it).

E

error_unknown

chickenpunk said:
Alternatively, how much goodwill will we create by doing our best to bring democracy and liberty to the Middle East? I can't recall how many times I was thanked by Iraqis for getting rid of Saddam (not that I had anything to do with it).
And how would those same Iraqi now respond to a query about how long the US should remain in Iraq? Seems I just read one that claimed "82%" want the US out now. http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A22403-2004May12?language=printer
England's impact on Iraq - or is this just a pregnant moment?

Would you allow this woman (Brig. Gen. Janis L. Karpinski) to baby sit your children?
I don't think so . . .

E

error_unknown

Notwithstanding the fact that "sovereignty" is a bunch of stuff and nonsense fit for the Red Queen in Alice in Wonderland when are the Iraqi gonna be thrown a bone by the "Coalition" (of the diminishing).
http://www.rense.com/general53/bushsnewnewlie.htm
Bush's New, New Lie
By Christopher Scheer
AlterNet
5-15-4

Here's a pop quiz.

Question: Which of the following changes will take place in Iraq on June 30, as part of the "transfer of sovereignty"?

a. Iraqis will be given some or total control over their military.
b. Iraqis will be given some or total control over their nation's purse strings.
c. The United States will begin a phased withdrawal of nits troops.
d. Iraqis will hold elections to decide who will govern the country.
e. None of the above.

Answer: None of the above. (snip)

Got that? See, we invaded Iraq to liberate the Iraqi people. Then when it seemed like they were saying, "Thank you for getting rid of Saddam, now please leave," . . .
(snip)

E

error_unknown

Generalquarters said:
And how would those same Iraqi now respond to a query about how long the US should remain in Iraq? Seems I just read one that claimed "82%" want the US out now. http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A22403-2004May12?language=printer
England's impact on Iraq - or is this just a pregnant moment?

Would you allow this woman (Brig. Gen. Janis L. Karpinski) to baby sit your children?
I don't think so . . .
I would guess that most of these polls are taken by terrified civilians in Baghdad, too scared to travel round the country and see what else is happening. To be honest, the occupation and reconstruction aren't going as well as they would have done if there had been a proper plan in place before the invasion, but most Iraqis outside Baghdad concede that things are better than they were under Saddam. But in reality, these peoples' lives have been turned upside-down in the past year, and the dust has yet to settle. When they are the first Islamic democracy (outside Turkey), and begin to realise the effects of their enormous oil reserves, as well as their industrial capacity, without having to look over their shoulders for Saddam's Mukhabarat, I am very confident their outlook will cahnge.

As for Karpinski, finally something we can agree on. She looks like my father (a former Welsh international second row forward, for those who follow rugby) wearing make-up.

E

error_unknown

chickenpunk said:
As for Karpinski, finally something we can agree on. She looks like my father (a former Welsh international second row forward, for those who follow rugby) wearing make-up.

Good anti-ambush drills guys! As for the regiment involved I understand that they hail from the South of England. Is that vague enough for Op Sec?

I don't mind someone saying;

"We regret they were forced to respond but we will protect our lives,"

so long as our chaps have done the necessary without some human rights lawyer deciding which gunman is a legitimate target.

Hell of an ambush(es)

Anyone know more - Within the bounds of OPSEC etc?

Bayonet assaults! No shi'ite? That is really "up close and personal", especially with the SA80. At least with the SLR you had them at arms length.

More power to their thrusts I say!

ooOoo

From the Times article;

"Although armed with rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs), the militia has found it hard to cope with Britain’s heavily armoured Warriors, one of which is reputed to have been struck by seven different RPGs and still managed to continue safely to base. "

If that is true, there is one battle waggon load of troops who believe there is a God. Dare say the like of the QM Tech will be complaining about the paintwork.

Latest Threads