British Troops Investigated for Heroin Smuggling

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Dragstrip, Sep 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Military police are investigating claims that British soldiers may have trafficked heroin from Afghanistan.

The Ministry of Defence said they were aware of "unsubstantiated" claims that troops were using military aircraft to ship the drug out of the country...

BBC News - British troops investigated for heroin smuggling
  2. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Get the MOD doing it. Might stave off some of the budget cuts ;)
  3. I still don't understand why we don't buy the stuff off them and use it for medical opiates?
  4. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

i) because it's a sensible idea
    ii) the Chinese get a bit jittery when it comes to Britain and Opiates especially right on their doorstep
  5. Must be a lie, The Argylls are not in Afghanistan.....Yet! :)
  6. Love it..'the Military are second to only Foreign Drugs Lords '.....

Think the Talebs might have a say in that!!
  7. What happened to Op Plunder?
  8. Why don't we buy it & use it medically?

When I asked this to one of the SOCA officers who came down to brief us, the explained (at length) that it was not commercially viable - it would cost far too much to put all the systems in place to collect/export the unprocessed opium into the refined product.

And OP PLUNDER still occurs, but there's always ways around things like it.
  9. msr

msr LE

10. How can this be? After all we know that every person who has ever deployed is a Saint.

R4 has just reported that the allegation also involves Canadians and includes both Bastion and Khandahar.

Personally it sounds the stuff of nonsense to me.
  11. Interesting...just downloading the article for a read. I guess there must be people in DFID/similar agencies who have weighed up the pros & cons & come up with the answer of not worth it though. If someone could make a profit, i'm sure they would be by now
  12. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

E's and Ballykelly anyone?
  13. we were succesful at it last time :)
    think how much kit we could get apaches and blackhaks all round:)
  14. Nope, couldn't find any because the Kingo's took them all. Usually to make their time on stag more interesting.
  15. You are just begging for a slap aren't you?