British troops feel their hard work is not appreciated

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by TheBigUn, Jun 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting article. I'd disagree with this point though, because it infers that support of the war = support of the troops, which I'd disagree with. I've certainly found a common feeling amongst people I talk to - they may not agree with or support us being in Iraq/Afghan, but they are behind the troops 100% of the way...
  2. I think that there is a danfer that this repeat message will 1. Turn the public off and 2. Develop a permanent 'victim' culture amongst soldiers.

Where it is true that joe public does not care or give a damn what the Army is up to or where, this has always been the case, apart from the two World Wars or at the time of significant victories.

The only way to galvanise public support is for them to fully understand what the Army is doing, why and what the impacts of success or failure are in either theatre. Welcome home parades etc only reinforce the support of the concerned members of the public and make the troops themselves feel better.

Currently the general consensus amongst UK civilians is that Iraq is an unjustified war where we have failed and there is no benefit whatsoever to the UK in us being there.

Their opinion of Afghanistan is slightly more benign thanks to Harry and Ross Kemp but equally very few understand how killing jihadists in Helmand benefits the UK.

If there were a concerted campaign to justify these military actions it would be more likely that there would be a genuine raising of public support for the Armed Forces.

Rightly or wrongly the general perception is that we have a rag tag army spending huge amounts of tax payers money as a hangover from Blair's toadying up to Bush. Although this does not make people hostile to the individuals concerned, the net result is that they are indifferent to the needs of the organisation.
  3. I think the public are growing in support of the Armed Forces. All except this prick.

Actor Rupert Everett has apologised for branding soldiers "wimps" and saying they were "always whining about the dangers of being killed".

"It's pathetic," the star of My Best Friend's Wedding had told the Sunday Telegraph. "The whole point of being in the Army is wanting to get killed."

But now he insists he did not mean to question the "bravery" of troops.

Everett, whose father is a retired Army major, also said he was sorry for talking "flippantly" about torture.

4. It's not so much the Tom's telling it like it is (and they've been sh*t upon for decades if you look far back enough), it's more the intent of a politically motivated press and media hell bent on keeping the pressure on Brown, that may do the damage in the end. Whereas it's only right to bring such matters to the public attention, are the public going to lose interest eventually if it's stuffed down their throats everytime they open a newspaper or watch the news?

It's marvellous when the public get behind the Mob, but the public have just been told that fuel costs are going up, tanker drivers are going to strike, knife crime is out of control, poverty is on an increase, schools will be shut down if they don't perform, their homes aren't worth as much as they orignally paid for them and Big Brother is back on. What would be the current level of public interest in these matters had England made it through to the Euro's?

When it comes right down to it, the attitude in the UK today appears to be very much 'it's every man for himself' and it was you at the end of the day who chose to join a volunteer Army.
  5. Personally I couldn't give two hoots what the general public think of my serving or the rights or wrongs of an operation. What I do care about is the lack of public perception in the after care of service personnel.

This debacle should not be allowed to continue.

As Biscuits says long have we been at the shitty end of the stick, and whilst there are issues that affect the public directly - house prices, fuel costs, big brother, the publics apathy will continue.

I know what would make me feel more appreciated, a sack load of cash, Harley Street levels of medical care, and knowing I wouldn't have to go to court to squeeze more money of of the system if I was wounded.

As an aside, am I correct in understanding that the hi-tech prosthetic limbs currently being fitted to injured personnel are purchased by charities and not the public purse.
  6. I think that public opinion is still behind the troops but when it comes to welcome home parades etc its not that the public is unappreciative of the troops efforts its more that the American just do it so much better. Plus of course they do have a culture of supporting "Veterans" and servicemen which has never really taken off here.
  7. The Public yes, however the suits in gobberment NO!!

And as always the PBI have to make do!!
  8. ^^^^Truth.

Couldn't give a fcuk what civvies think of us: they have no code, no honour and no concept of sacrifice. Anyone who thinks there is some wholescale change of opinion out there amongst the Muggles is gravely mistaken. There is a backlash coming...
  9. I personally feel we will end up sounding (or have the press make us out to be) a group of moaning prima donnas. We also stand to create a situation where there is apathy amongst the public due to the perception of soldiers doing their 'job' and then whinging about it, then when there are serious issues they will be ignored.
  10. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Unacknowledged by Joe Public is fine by me. All this round-of-applause American nonsense when you enter a pub is just - well, American really. It would make me inclined to drink somewhere else.

The best thanks I can get off Joe Public is to be able to walk down the street and not get a knife through the ribs. What i'd like the public to do is get behind us on getting the support we need for our injured blokes - that is an area where we need the help.

And I agree with Biscuits as well - I volunteered to do this, I don't want a pat on the back from random civvies for doing my job. I might catch something.