British troops detain 12 in overnight raids in Basra

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Oct 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I like the point about Boyce asking the media to publish more good news stories...does this mean that the public will get a more balanced view of what is going out there? Don't think so, unless we're getting a pasting, it doesn't sell papers.
  2. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

well, the MND(SE) Progress reports have been regularly posted on the Web - the most recent one I could find is dated April 2005.

The MoD site at covers events as they happen. Sadly, the last two months have been dominated by casualty stories.

Befehl ist Befehl, Admiral :) .....

Not sure if this story from August got much UK coverage - I was abroad at the time:
    Not sure if this counts as a good news story or not...or indeed whether anyone has done a follow up to see if the venture is thriving...come on Scoop, get to it !

Le Chevre
  3. One question we have to ask,
    Would we rather have sanitised government friendly news or no news?
  4. The other problem in the Sandpit at the moment is that the MoD and civilian "minders" from Downing Street are riding shotgun on any journos who reach Basra. Access to troops is strictly limited. It doesn't make for any kind of balanced reporting. El Presidente obviously doesn't want the real situation publicised, warts and all.
  5. from PJHQ Media Ops advice to journos visiting MND(SE)
  6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

So that's why The Man in The White Suit hasn't been seen talking to camera while mortar rounds land all around him in downtown Basra then....some Ali Baba tw4t from Phoenix Air left his baggage loafing on the tarmac for too long and the Cadburys all slopped partout !

Good story here - I think we should be told....Martin ? You're on the next flight to Dubai ! :lol:

bonne weekend tous,

Le Chevre
  7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

There is, as far as I know, nothing to stop Journos going to Basra from Kuwait on their own - if they want. If they sort out the visas, transport, etc. (a pocket of $$$ always helps), then they could probably go freelance. However, the track record (i.e. life expectancy) of freelancers in the MND(SE) area isn't good.

Come on then, Reporters - show some Bottle and get out there on your own, and give us the Truth.....

I figure it's probably a win/win situation for us - on the one hand, the Government would have to be more careful about press releases, with people on the ground independent of them. On the other hand, well, I don't really wish ill of anyone, but if I did, it would be a posse of reporters from the Sun, D Mirror, D Mail, etc :)