British troops being sent to Poland to help with migrant problem

I think this is it, chaps.

Time to dust off the old Survive To Fight manual, dig out the old woollen socks and berets.

Belarus wants nukes in the south and west, as well as turning the lights off in Western Europe for a third of their energy requirements and hey presto, one of the most dangerous situation since the Cuban missile crisis.

Except that our politicians are buffoons.
The Arrser Special Reserve is waiting like a coiled spring for the call, am tuned in 24 x 7 to my steam radio for the code word to report.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Put yourself in Putin's shoes.

Russia has been emasculated over the past 25 years; a once great power now a shadow of itself. Putin portrays himself as a strong man, and lets face it, some of his actions of late have been rather robust.

As the former USSR / Soviet Bloc has shrunk, the buffer States between NATO and Russia are falling under Western influence.

It doesn't matter how "we" see it, I can completely understand how RU sees it. "We" are encroaching.

Twenty years ago, you may've had a point, when we admitted the satellite states. I'm not aware of any encroachment since. This isn't a new development, he's just trying to get the band (USSR) back together.

Putin has no excuse.

Truxx

LE
Hopefully we will have sent RLC Movement Controllers.

Poor sods. As if trekking half way across the continent in flip flops and nylon track suits wasn't enough.

Put yourself in Putin's shoes.

Russia has been emasculated over the past 25 years; a once great power now a shadow of itself. Putin portrays himself as a strong man, and lets face it, some of his actions of late have been rather robust.

As the former USSR / Soviet Bloc has shrunk, the buffer States between NATO and Russia are falling under Western influence.

It doesn't matter how "we" see it, I can completely understand how RU sees it. "We" are encroaching.

20 odd years ago I would have agreed that expansion of NATO, into former USSR states could have been better considered better. We could have encouraged co-operative cross trained with many of the satellite states, and even Russia Itself. Particularly when there was a common enemy on the horizon.

Also we should have as member state, of the EU stopped the EU trying to get its fingers into the Ukraine... While Putin was at the time trying to woo the Ukraine into its own circle of influence is at least part of the reasoning for Putin making a land grab. Regardless of the all above Putin is still largely the author of his own misfortune, Polonium Tea and Novichok doorhandles, being strategically poor moves, that left little room for any détente.

Given his position in the 'Boris Yeltsin' government was a time when he was, best suited too have stepped in and fixed a lot of Russia's post cold war issues, of endemic corruption and misuse of the nations resources. Particularly then becoming acting and then full time president, the west at that time hoped to be able to work with him. instead he threw a massive strop and has made the Russian State return to being viewed an enemy.

Not all of Russia's emasculation is because of the actions of the west, rather it is the continued endemic corruption. Putin has always had a strategic advantage, of oil, natural gas and other resources, with the bonus of the west destroying its own infrastructure to appease the green lobby.

While Russia is a Nuclear state, I don't think Putin is thinking that pushing the west into a conflict that could see the throwing buckets of instant sunshine about as a bonus. Sadly the west's failures to defend western ideals has been a temptation that its enemies.

Sadly with many useful idiots and other left wing activists within the infrastructure of many western states. That so many of them are now beginning to tie themselves in knots regarding Poland and other Baltic states defending Europe against hostile mass migration while fun to watch, is not mitigating the dangers of escalation in Poland.

Russia is not on the same scale of enemy that it was during the cold war, but it is an active enemy. China is now on the top of that list, both economically and militarily but that is for another thread.

Twenty years ago, you may've had a point, when we admitted the satellite states. I'm not aware of any encroachment since. This isn't a new development, he's just trying to get the band (USSR) back together.

Putin has no excuse.

He has no excuse - BUT - understanding where this fundamental Russian motivation comes from is important.

Right now , I do not fear Nuclear exchange from Russia ( or China for that matter ).
There may be more fighting in Donbass.
China may invade Taiwan - which does not mean WW3 ( though it will be pretty intense for a while).

Iran under the mad Mullahs and NK under the utterly insane Kims - if they get deliverable Nukes ..,. anything can happen, none of it good.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
North Korea has had deliverable Nukes for three or four years now.
Yer, but they're relying on Hermes to deliver them, so.....

North Korea has had deliverable Nukes for three or four years now.
I think their range is limited to scaring the shit out of their near neighbours - at the moment.

If they gain distance and accuracy - their regime will fall.
As will Iran.
It will happen quickly, almost instantaneously, lots of people will die, mostly their own people.

I think their range is limited to scaring the shit out of their near neighbours - at the moment.

If they gain distance and accuracy - their regime will fall.
As will Iran.
It will happen quickly, almost instantaneously, lots of people will die, mostly their own people.
I thought they could reach Guam?

He has no excuse - BUT - understanding where this fundamental Russian motivation comes from is important.

Right now , I do not fear Nuclear exchange from Russia ( or China for that matter ).
There may be more fighting in Donbass.
China may invade Taiwan - which does not mean WW3 ( though it will be pretty intense for a while).

Iran under the mad Mullahs and NK under the utterly insane Kims - if they get deliverable Nukes ..,. anything can happen, none of it good.
Agree with this and would also add Pakistan to the list of states to worry about. They do have nukes, and the governments (if you can call them that) over the years seem to be somewhat fleeting. Worryingly the population there seems more authoritarian than most of the governments, which is unusual.

Agree with this and would also add Pakistan to the list of states to worry about. They do have nukes, and the governments (if you can call them that) over the years seem to be somewhat fleeting. Worryingly the population there seems more authoritarian than most of the governments, which is unusual.

Agreed, but I worry just slightly less about Pakistan than Iran / NK.
Pakistans nukes appear to be solely reserved for the' bloody Indians'.
They can deal with China up north with pick-helves.
Kashmir with pick- helves, tear gas and a couple of bullets.
And they play cricket.

Less worries about them than Iran / NK

Latest Threads