British Transport Police To Deploy Armed Officers

Discussion in 'Police, PMCs, Security' started by Mr_Fingerz, May 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. Will they be armed with rail guns?

• Like Like x 6
  3. Something needs to be done as a matter of urgency, I am finding it very difficult to shift all this Copper Wire.

4. Are the BTP not a constabulary, duly sworn and warranted, if so their head scuffer should get his act together if the plods are not up to scratch and as for being armed, well, could they not have train marshals in civvies but packing bangy stuff.

5. If elected Police Commissioners come in, who will vote for the BTP Commissioner?

6. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Presumably the same constituency that will vote for the Commissioners for the following forces:

Ministry Of Defence Police
    Nuclear Inspectorate Police
    Mersey Tunnel Police
    Port Of Liverpool Police
    Port Of London Police............

7. The run up to this has already been covered in previous threads. I can't see how anyone can object? Assuming they're trained to a high standard (I believe by MOD Plod) it would seem to make a whole lot of sense. The transport system has already been targetted on several occasions and BTP are the one's who have to police it and protect it's customers? Until now this would have fallen on the local force to do and they're all stretched enough as it is. Surely all this is, is another move forward to counter a well known and existing threat.

8. Striking RMT *******??

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shooting's too good for that lot!

10. trained honey badgers would deal with the rmt:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. High standard + BTP= oxymoron

12. I read that they would be in the main deployed in ARV's with a few foot patrols in a couple of main line stations. Great, armed incident north London railway station and the duty ARV's are south of the river stuck in traffic! or a couple of armed BTP officers on foot patrol at kings cross, armed incident at Croydon railway station or on the tube near to Epping Forrest tube station. So who will attend? the police who attend now the Met! So what is the point of arming them? could it be a political thing for the Olympics?

If they do deploy armed police what weapons will they carry? they better be good shots. Firing high velocity rounds in a busy railway station or on a tube could cause problems if they miss or go through the target!

I also read that the MOD Plods are going to train them! Why! they have never fired a shot ( to my knowledge ) in anger! The Met or PSNI should be used, at least they know what they are talking about!

13. What about the Guardian Angels?

14. What about group4?

15. No-The BTP come under the remit of the Secretary of State for Transport and as such are technically the Department for Transport's Police Force. They have jurisdiction and Power of Constable for the Rail Network and Underground/Metro/Light Rail Systems in the UK and property belonging to those entities only, but do include a Criminal Investigation Department. In most respects, except for not being armed, they are similar to the MOD Police which comes under the remit of the Secretary of State for Defence. Both these Forces are listed separately in the Police and Constabulary Almanac together with their legal powers.

The BTP have regulatory powers covered by the Rail and Channel Tunnel Order, but until now they defer to the Metropolitan Police Service and Regional Police Services in responding to terrorist incidents.

In the same vein, uniformed Ports Police at the Ports of Dover and Liverpool, are also regulated by DfT. These only have the power of detention within the port area and up to one mile around the perimeter. They are not permitted to carry any riot gear or non lethal weapons such as Tasers or CS Spray and must defer to Regional Police Services for serious incidents. In effect, they are glorified security officers.

Other unarmed Police Services in London and Elsewhere include the Royal Parks Police and The Houses of Parliament Police.