British transport police are they all ******* useless?

No-one was prosecuted over the death of a man who was restrained in the street by public transport workers despite the case being reviewed three times.
Jack Barnes, 29, shouted "I can't breathe" repeatedly while being restrained in a street in Manchester

WLM?
What's your point? The people involved in this incident were not police officers but employees of the transport company.

Plenty of non home office constabularies such as Port of Dover, Portland, Mersey tunnel police.

Most have very limited powers and jurisdiction specific to their needs but like BTP, MDP etc exist to provide a dedicated response to their 'customer'. Home office retain overall jurisdiction but generally leave responsibility to the non home office forces for routine tasks which would take up their resources.
Dartford crossing used to have its own police section until Highways England took over the crossing and they became HETOs, I believe many teddies were slung!

What's your point? The people involved in this incident were not police officers but employees of the transport company.
Sorry mate, I won't bother posting links. Everyone should do the same,

As we have learnt, overstretched. In north Wales, one BTP would cover Chester to Holyhead. So we did there stuff. Not their fault, and no one cares.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I recently came across Falmouth Docks Police.

Apparently there are only four of them but they are an actual police force with powers of arrest etc.

From my dealings with them, they appear to just be very angry traffic wardens in a small dockyard.

One wonders what the point is. Why does Falmouth Docks need its own police force?
Why does it matter? The government doesn’t pay for them.

Mbongwe

Old-Salt
They're 45 mins away.
They always are.
But in all fairness their method for getting the attention seeking 'I'm going to kill myself' types off the bridges is far better and more effective than our pointless shutdown the road/railway and get the on call negotiator to bore them for several long hours to get in the nice warm van.
What is the BTP method for that (if it's not too confidential to say)?

Last edited:
I didn't mean any insult, just to make the point that this thread is about BTP and the people involved in this incident were not BTP.
Where else could I put it?

What is the BTP method for that (if it's not too confidential to say)?
Get near.
Grab.
Cuff and arrest under some obscure bit of Railway legislation that only they know about.

Their role is to keep the Choo Choos running.

In SA railway police were known as a stasie blompot - station plant pot. Generally a bunch of fat idle useless buggers employed to occupy space, until they were disbanded.

At one of the skydiving nationals in Vryheid in the '80s, a pissed up local jumper wound up one of the fat fookers and got shot for his trouble. Probably too fat and lazy to engage in a foot chase.

Cromarty

War Hero
London Bridge has a BTP station, it's situated less than a 100yds from the station itself and the twats still drive upto the station for coffee and donuts/Greggs.

That may be because they are required to respond at short notice. If you are in trouble and need backup, you don't want to wait while someone runs back, gets the keys, then gets on their way. You want them on the road ASAP. And no, you can't rely on another force for help.

Cromarty

War Hero

No-one was prosecuted over the death of a man who was restrained in the street by public transport workers despite the case being reviewed three times.
Jack Barnes, 29, shouted "I can't breathe" repeatedly while being restrained in a street in Manchester

WLM?

If you can shout anything you can breathe.