British transport police are they all ******* useless?

So here I'm sitting in the house next to the railway station and can hear a crowd of folk shouting and probs pissed/stoned for the past 30mins plus who are messing about on the platform no soical distancing etc full view of the CCTV and where are the plod nowhere to be seen despite their offices at the staion 30mtrs away

Just before Christmas someone went missing in the area the night before reports might be on or around the railway line, Found dead curled up in a platform shelter 70mtrs from the office if that, Then ask if members of the public have seen anything regarding the missing person and to report it into them rather than them walking about and checking the platform /station area perhpas they might have found the person in time to safe their life?

My uncle stays opposite and regularly gets shit from the platform thrown over into his garden (needles/bottles/platform maintance rubbish by contractors etc despite raising it and asking for the CCTV footage to be checked to ID whos throwing the building rubbish in to the garden he's chinned off told that they wouldnt entertain it at the control office to shift through a number of days of footage he'd need the approx time(despit telling them what night it happend) He was told though if he threw it back onto the platform he'd get done for it under reckless endangerment but if they caught who was throwning the bottles over they would just send them round to pick it up with no further action by the duty Sgt when he complained to them and the station manager.

Reported what they thought was a stolen suitcase thrown into a neighbours gardern and never came for it think it's still there a few years later

He's phoned them up direct at the station before to report an incident and been told they wont investigate the aggro on the platform unless they get the nod from their control office in Inverness to intervene.

I've tried to chap them at the station up to report an incident and couldnt even be arsed to answer the door despite the vans being there outside it, Left me wondering how do I engage with them.

Even the Police Scotland copper who was looking in the empty yard next to the station didnt seem to impressed by them one day when he was searching for something thrown off the platform and I asked why wasnt BTP doing it.

Not saying all BT coppers are idle but these ones here seem to be well workshy and can't be out dealing with line jumpers etc and pissed up fights on trains from Glasgow for most of the year.

What do they actually do or have we just been unlucky and got a real life version of Cheif Wiggum and his deputies?

Moan over

They may well be all out, riding the trains. They do a lot of counter terrorism stuff I'm told

Harbour Police in Belfast used to call us (PSNI) if someone said a rude word. Every one I met was a useless cnut, and most of them were fat.

So here I'm sitting in the house next to the railway station and can hear a crowd of folk shouting and probs pissed/stoned for the past 30mins plus who are messing about on the platform no soical distancing etc full view of the CCTV and where are the plod nowhere to be seen despite their offices at the staion 30mtrs away

Just before Christmas someone went missing in the area the night before reports might be on or around the railway line, Found dead curled up in a platform shelter 70mtrs from the office if that, Then ask if members of the public have seen anything regarding the missing person and to report it into them rather than them walking about and checking the platform /station area perhpas they might have found the person in time to safe their life?

My uncle stays opposite and regularly gets shit from the platform thrown over into his garden (needles/bottles/platform maintance rubbish by contractors etc despite raising it and asking for the CCTV footage to be checked to ID whos throwing the building rubbish in to the garden he's chinned off told that they wouldnt entertain it at the control office to shift through a number of days of footage he'd need the approx time(despit telling them what night it happend) He was told though if he threw it back onto the platform he'd get done for it under reckless endangerment but if they caught who was throwning the bottles over they would just send them round to pick it up with no further action by the duty Sgt when he complained to them and the station manager.

Reported what they thought was a stolen suitcase thrown into a neighbours gardern and never came for it think it's still there a few years later

He's phoned them up direct at the station before to report an incident and been told they wont investigate the aggro on the platform unless they get the nod from their control office in Inverness to intervene.

I've tried to chap them at the station up to report an incident and couldnt even be arsed to answer the door despite the vans being there outside it, Left me wondering how do I engage with them.

Even the Police Scotland copper who was looking in the empty yard next to the station didnt seem to impressed by them one day when he was searching for something thrown off the platform and I asked why wasnt BTP doing it.

Not saying all BT coppers are idle but these ones here seem to be well workshy and can't be out dealing with line jumpers etc and pissed up fights on trains from Glasgow for most of the year.

What do they actually do or have we just been unlucky and got a real life version of Cheif Wiggum and his deputies?

Moan over
Did you get knocked back at the paper sift stage?

jmoha

Swinger
John Sweeney did a documentary in 2001 called the "Worst Journey in Britain" where he travelled to all points of the compass by train. On the last day, after filming interviews with passenger on a Virgin train to Scotland (with their permissions) he was reported to BTP by the Virgin crew and was detained for "Harrassment" at the train station despite the passengers coming to his defence on the spot.

He got the right hump and did some digging to find that 95%+ of the BTP funding came from the rail companies themselves and they were basically warranted security guards. He didn't have a nice thing to say about them in the end.

That said, they aren't all wasters, ref. PC Wayne Marques who faced down the 2017 London Bridge attackers with his baton.

Green_Homer

War Hero
I was quite shocked to hear from a friend who's BTP as to how few officers they have on duty and covering quite large areas (often several counties). Outside of a few hub areas there can be 2 officers covering a physically massive area.

But yes, some are quite crap.

You won't have a problem with BTP soon in Scotland, if wee nippy gets her way, they are being absorbed into Police Scotland.

They're 45 mins away.
They always are.
But in all fairness their method for getting the attention seeking 'I'm going to kill myself' types off the bridges is far better and more effective than our pointless shutdown the road/railway and get the on call negotiator to bore them for several long hours to get in the nice warm van.

You do know that most nicks outside of 9-5 don't have anyone in them don't you.
Pretty sure this one is covered 24/7 due to it being a junction location plus who's feeding the info back on the CCTV, Even if was only manned during day time the amount of pissed up fights etc that happen on a Saturday just get ignored.

Sentinel

Old-Salt
There aren't enough of them, simple as that. When I worked on the railway there was one BTP officer for the whole of Cornwall. The BTP are also the only national police force we have and do some interesting stuff including counter-terrorism and football hooliganism. They are also very good when there is a fatality on the railway. Turn up, ask the driver what happened, okay suicide got with clearing it up, get the line back open. Compare that with other police forces who would ask the driver what avoiding action they took, breathalyse them, ask them questions under caution, keep the line closed for hours on end. BTP are really good, when they turn up.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
You won't have a problem with BTP soon in Scotland, if wee nippy gets her way, they are being absorbed into Police Scotland.
That will be interesting. The Railway Nework and the trains is/are private property, there has to be a set of specific circumstance before the Police can enter such property. (Well, there used to be in my time in the Job.)

I've just rechecked, it's on hold at the moment, too many hurdles I would imagine, salary, T&C's, pension, training, to name but several.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The dad of one of my school mates joined the BTP to see out the last years of his career after being in the Met for 30 odd years.

He was a VIP liaison officer or something which basically just meant sitting in a first class carriage whenever the PM or some other important person was on the train.

By all accounts a complete piece of piss as the VIPs always brought their own close protection coppers with them. He was just there to tick a box as it fell under BTP jurisdiction.

He literally just got paid to travel round the country, read the paper, eat nice food and look out the window.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Mate of mine works for Colas in the Reading / Basingstoke area. They sometimes get problems with pikeys and the usual Neds trying to nick stuff, throw rocks at the workers etc. BTP have an office in Reading with normally 1 in the office and 2 in a pickup truck. They cover the area from Slough to Swindon and Oxford to Winchester. On a good day there are two mobile units.

Yes is the answer to your question. Whilst there are some very good officers most are mediocre and hampered by appalling management. That was my experience on the London Underground division.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
London Bridge has a BTP station, it's situated less than a 100yds from the station itself and the twats still drive upto the station for coffee and donuts/Greggs.

Latest Threads