• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

British toops step in to hold afghan airfield

British troops rushed to a remote part of north-west Afghanistan last night as protests at the Mohammed cartoons degenerated into a gun battle at a base of Norwegian peacekeepers.

According to the Norwegians, a "company-sized formation" from the Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Light Infantry was flown by helicopter to Maimana in Faryab province after the violence that left up to four dead and 23 injured.

The reinforcements were sent to secure the airfield after a crowd of about 500 protesters attacked the base of a Norwegian-run provincial reconstruction team, a civilian-military force of fewer than 100.

The British troops are usually based at Mazar-i-Sharif.

As night fell, a United Nations spokesman in Kabul said all non-essential UN staff were being withdrawn by air from Maimana and its surrounds.

Earlier in the day, Norwegian troops fired first tear gas then rubber bullets as a stone-throwing mob attempted to storm the base, setting fire to buildings and military vehicles.
The cartoons have had far reaching consequences.

telegraph

Agent_Smith said:
British troops rushed to a remote part of north-west Afghanistan last night as protests at the Mohammed cartoons degenerated into a gun battle at a base of Norwegian peacekeepers.

According to the Norwegians, a "company-sized formation" from the Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Light Infantry was flown by helicopter to Maimana in Faryab province after the violence that left up to four dead and 23 injured.

The reinforcements were sent to secure the airfield after a crowd of about 500 protesters attacked the base of a Norwegian-run provincial reconstruction team, a civilian-military force of fewer than 100.

The British troops are usually based at Mazar-i-Sharif.

As night fell, a United Nations spokesman in Kabul said all non-essential UN staff were being withdrawn by air from Maimana and its surrounds.

Earlier in the day, Norwegian troops fired first tear gas then rubber bullets as a stone-throwing mob attempted to storm the base, setting fire to buildings and military vehicles.
The cartoons have had far reaching consequences.

telegraph
I think that our Norwegian friends indeed needed help. Only imagine that Norwegian troops would kill protesters (Norwegian newspapers reprinted the cartoons first). So we could see something like this in Moslem press: 'First they insulted us and when we protest we kill us'.

British troops are neutral there because British newspapers haven't reprinted the cartoons (very wise behavior).

At least we got there before a Russian Parachute Regiment this time :D

Well done guys , stay safe.

Russian paras?

Either way they will still attack us 'infidels' I think the sitation has brought other issues up, so sort of destressing them it appears to be the Afghan police that have killed some of them.

PartTimePongo said:

Afghanistan? No, no. If you waited for Russian paras then it was in vain.

Few years ago I head one Russian general on TV. He said about his conversation with a Briton. The Brit made a question: why you Russians hadn't asked us about Afghanistan? It is so terrible place. We captured many countries but were unable to establish full control over this land.

PartTimePongo said:
Scene: A Danish Newspaper Office

Cartoonist: Boss I want you to print these cartoons for me.

Editor: Feck off, I'm not going to start WW3 for you!

Oh, if only...

KGB_resident said:
PartTimePongo said:

Afghanistan? No, no. If you waited for Russian paras then it was in vain.
Not really, after all they were there years before us :D

Latest Threads