British teenage drop-out rate near worst in world

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, Sep 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is one of the most depressing things I have seen for some time.

"Britain now has one of the worst teenage drop-out rates of any developed country.

Only Turkey, Israel and Brazil have more 15 to 19-year-olds not in education, employment or training according to the report by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

The UK also has among the highest numbers who fail to complete their higher education — with vocational courses having particularly low graduation rates. "

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article6825679.ece

2. Why should the kids nowadays study hard to excel themselves when its easy to live off the state like their parents and grandparents do?
    Nothing will get better until the whole system of government in this country changes, starting with the benefits system.
    If people realise they wont get an easy handout to live on, then they may just start trying to better themselves.
    Dont get me wrong though, all is not lost. I have met some cracking teens that are spot on and want to do well, just a shame they're outnumbered by the chavvy underclass.

3. When teenagers go to college at 16 they are given £10 per week to study ,What 16-18 year old is going to go to college when their friends are working and bring home at least £150 per week

What help does this government give any students with regards to completing their courses . You end up thousands of pounds in debt and when you have completed your degree their is no guarantee of a job .

4. Bring it on. At least it gives my kids (statistically) a higher chance of success.

5. i think the latter is the more important bit in that sentence. if you havent been encouraged or even supported from childhood your not even going to consider higher education as an option or set your sights ridiculously low or at the easier end of the service industry like the good 3rd of women at the local college becoming "beauty technicians"

heh this just caught my eye...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8243684.stm

NAUGHTIEST NAMES
    Callum
    Connor
    Jack
    Daniel
    Brandon
    Charlie
    Chelsea
    Courtney
    Chardonnay
    Aleisha
    Casey
    Crystal

so that'll be the ones with chav parents then?

6. I don't think it's the lack of aspiration on its own. Britain is becoming an incredibly anti-intellectual, anti-technocratic country. How many businesses or public services are led by people who've relevant qualifications or have worked their way up in that field? Precious few.

We're run by people who've got experience of 'management' instead, normally financial management. People who can blithely skip from one field to a completely unrelated one but be seen as a good bet for the job because, when you come right down to it, they know a lot about Excel.

Our role models are invariably the lowest common denominator whose 'talent' lies in something popular - certain types of music or particular sports. Popularity reaps vast reward, whether the thing done is actually worthwhile or deserving.

No wonder kids can't see a future in learning how to do something useful - they've seen precious little precedent of that being the key to success.

7. One more reason for the British to become a laughing stock...

8. Thank goodness for that, otherwise we Paras would run out of good Toms!