British Swords (Waterloo till 1905)

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by old_bloke, May 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody have any information about where to buy a decent sword?

I have been watching the “Sharp” collection of DVD’s and the swords they all swing about with such gusto seem to be very good at, well killing. Thinking about starting a collection to help with my “Home defence- you see officer I collect these things and it was all I had to hand”

In reality I am searching the web –Google etc for first hand accounts of using the things.

Remember years ago in Keogh Barracks looking at the Waterloo sketches by a surgeon as I recall showing all sorts of nasty wounds and such but I am interested in locating a true source of the actual recorded use of British swords in combat- (against the French I hope).

Has anyone got?

1. A link to a site with info on their use for real?

2. A link to a site where I could get a decent blade for a real price. It would look good over the fireplace as well.
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Well at least it will be original putting a link over the fireplace. Personally I would have put a sword there. :wink:
  3. Normaly a few on Ebay

4. Thanks CV thats what I was after.
  5. This is rivetting stuff! I've been on the edge of my chair for days.

Oh, the suspense!
  6. Michael D Long is one of the UK's leading dealers in British arms and swords. I assume you're after the real thing rather than repro?

7. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

A good place to pick up swords is a militaria auction. Arm yourself with past prices so you don't pay over the odds and you should pick up a bargain.
  8. as already mentioned wilkinson sword are good bet

don't quote me but i believe leon paul the fencing equipment company have a historic department no hundred percent sure though

and for collection purposes there was an antique department store in bath that had sword stall not sure if it's still there bu had a great indian tulwar when i went there