British standard for gunsafes BS7558/92

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by EX_STAB, Dec 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anybody know what the tools and method of attack are that the safe has to resist?

I'm too tight to shell out for the standard.
  2. I got a three rifle box in my shed you can have if you want it ,I am in south wales
  3. Kind of you but I'm probably going to have to make something to fit the available space and I want to check that the end product will have the same level of resistance to attack as the BS standard says. The standard's £40 but if I can avoid paying for it I will!

You could auction the box on here for the "Help them out" fund though if you don't need it - just a thought.

Thanks for the offer!
  4. i know somebody who is after one....wait..out! :wink:
  5. I will have to dig it out as it's been in there quit some time it might be as rusty as F ill check it out
  6. PM sent :wink:
  7. Ask your FEO - if he doesn't know the BS, then you won't have to worry about complying! Seriously, I've never met one plod who had the slightest interest in cabinet level of defence. I use a mix of Brattensounds and some old 1970s tin jobbies - it all seems to pass muster.

Why not email Brattonsound? - say you are interested in buying a large number of cabinets, but have a question about the BS criteria....
  8. Sorry lads it looks a bit naf it has been stood in the corner in my shed about 8 years and is in a very poor condition hardly worth traveling down for unless you live round here, I'd forgotten how long it was there

found 2 fishing rods and the pistol grip for a Dan Weeson .44 though. must go in my shed more
  9. no worries..i've put a message out to the other bloke to see what he says about the condition....worth a try though...thanks :wink:
  10. Hi EX_STAB,

The following link may shed some light on the subject for you:

Annex A starting on page 31 is probably the most relevant bit.

Although published in 2005 I think it is still current.

I may be wrong but I think the law requires firearms to be kept "secure" and that technically a cabinet is not a legal requirement although most constabularies will expect licence holders to have one,
  11. You tight git! I've just spent over 300 on mine.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No he's talking about paying £40 to see the standard!
    I may have Standards online at work!
  13. 40 quid just for the information? They're really taking the mickey aren't they.
  14. ISO Standards and the like do that alot.
  15. My Safe is a home made version with a decent 5 lever lock welded inside and a door handle on the front. Its made from 3 mm thick steel and is bolted on with 6 big bloody bolts. The coppers have inspected it in my last 3 houses and have been more than happy. The rules for Firearms might be a bit more strict than shotguns Im not sure. I Picked it up on e-bay for £50. You dont need to worry as long as it cant be jimmied open and there are no spaces between the cabinet and the wall i.e. skirting boards if its in an inside room. Keep looking on e-bay mate, there are usually a few bargains to be had.