British squaddies swim across the Rhine.

G

gaz_mcmahon

we managed to get us to the right river which was an achievment given the state we were in!

gaz_mcmahon said:
we managed to get us to the right river which was an achievment given the state we were in!
Gaz, I think that was a pretty good effort by you and the guys, though slightly errr irresponsible!! :D

On a serious note, have you and the guys considered turning this into an annual 'sponsored' event for Forces charity, assuming you can get the Cloggie OK?

I can actually see , with adequate safety precautions in place , this becoming an annual event. Though I suggest you'd have to do it a bit earlier , it must have been freezing!! Possibly at the end of Nijmegen , or the closest weekend following the date of the breakout?

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
PartTimePongo said:
gaz_mcmahon said:
Gaz, I think that was a pretty good effort by you and the guys, though slightly errr irresponsible!! :D

On a serious note, have you and the guys considered turning this into an annual 'sponsored' event for Forces charity, assuming you can get the Cloggie OK?

I can actually see , with adequate safety precautions in place , this becoming an annual event. Though I suggest you'd have to do it a bit earlier , it must have been freezing!! Possibly at the end of Nijmegen , or the closest weekend following the date of the breakout?
We could get some yanks to turn up with towels and meet you there
They could then go away and claim they rescued along with the rest of the free world :D

I swam across the Moselle once on a liberty night out while on exercise near Cochem. We`d been in the field for about a week and the good ole OC was pleased with our efforts so gave us all a night out in Cochem.

After the usual 10 pints of Pils as a starter, a group of us decided it was a good time for a quick dip in the river.
We stripped down to our skids at the river bank and the other blokes just jumped in from a little boat jetty and were just pissing about treading water and splashing each other but rufty tufty moi raced down the jetty and did an Olympic style dive into the river and swam out a fair way.
About forty yards as it turned out and as I paused in the middle of the river weighing up my chances of getting back in one piece, decided to just keep going for the opposite bank. I managed it and after crawling out I made my way to the bridge and walked back across to get my clothes.

I got some strange looks as I tootled across the bridge in just my soaking undies.

This is where it took place.

Moselle.jpg