British squaddies swim across the Rhine.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Cloggie, Oct 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

3 buttnaked British soldiers have caused the Arnhem police and firebrigade a lot of work.
    The 3, aged 27,34 and 37 dicided at 00:30 hrs on the night of Thursday to Friday to swim across the Rhine. A passerby noticed the 3 near the Nelson Mandela bridge and rang the emergency number. The Arnhem firebrigade pulled out with a diver-team to search for bodies.On the ramp they found 3 piles of clothing.shortly after, on the other side of the river the police arrested the 3 who just crawled out of the water. the 3 declared that they went for a swim to cool off a bit. At thisd time of year the Rhine measures about 12C. They also took a buoy from a tug,which was later returned to the rightfull owner. The soldiers were taken to the policestation where they were checked on hypothermia,which was not the case. After a cup of coffee and a serious warning they were to leave again.

2. Good drills. Good to see the lads can still do it ;)
  3. To cool off a bit? :D Nice one, well done lads :D :D
  4. I remember a lad swimming the Rhine at Arnhem, who was boasting about doing it at the Bakers Bar, until a veteran said, should have tried it in 1944.
  5. Good effort chaps.

Can't imagine the cloggie feds doing anything but grinning and letting them go.

They should have done it near John Frost Bridge, not Mandela Bridge though
  6. the brits: showing the Germans we still own the place 60 years later!
  7. The Nelson Mandela bridge? FFS. The PC Bde have invaded Holland as well then?
  8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Ah that would be the time to eat humble pie, and buy a round.
  9. Hahaha I had lunch with one of them last week, I will have to tell him they are famous. There were more than three but not all of them got lifted.
  10. Err it was actually near the frost bridge, about 50 metres upstream. the cloggie feds had a good laugh about it once they realised no one had died, shame the feds made them walk through stinging nettles instead of the perfectly good path.

Stu and gaz your paper is on its way!
  11. Good lads we can still do it even 64 years on!
  12. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

I'm proud of the lads... for swimming the Rhine... was it from heavedorp ferry area???

They could have let some people know they were doing it and not waste emergency services time but that is a little PC of me to say so.
  13. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Heavedorp is well upstream of Frost bridge.... Where most of the 1944 lot crossed. I must learn to scroll up before posting
  14. sticky was on the home bank while we were swimming and as much as we tried to tell the police we were okay we were still arrested the guys whos life bouy we stole called the cops.for the record we swam from just a bit away from john frost bridge.

:D :D :D :D :D

sticky you need to get the photos on
  15. Good to see the old traditions being kept up.

Well apart from the being arrested bit of course.