British Special Forces

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by REMEbrat, May 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have British Special Forces always played a major role in ensuring victory in conflicts the British Army has fought in?
    I recently saw a documentary on the Falklands War and it talked about the Goose Green diversionary raid made by the SAS and how important it was in helping the British retake the Islands. I know during GW1
    (and probably GW2 also) the SAS and SBS played a vital role in operations within Iraq and Kuwait by severely limiting the capabilities of the Iraqi Army but have the British SF been instrumental in all conflicts fought?

2. Yes

Just to offer a different opinion.

3. Groan!

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

5. Schhhhhh! :D

6. Sorry, that information is covered by the Official Secrets Act, and copyrighted by HarperCollins.

7. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

They were on the balcony at Le Haye Sainte, granting them a critical role at Waterloo;
    Their heliborne raid into the heart of the Delhi fortress was instrumental in dismantling the Indian Mutiny;
    Alas, their failure to deactivate the Russian cannon balls before Balaclava spelled disaster for the Light Brigade

Of course, this has all been hushed up.

8. WAH !! And a poor quality one at that. :x

If you're gonna WAH, then at least show some imagination and creativity.

D_B

9. Or a glimpse of breast.

10. Were Roger's Rangers SF?

The Septics think so,I could never work out why the called one of their SF units after a BRITISH Army unit

11. Depends who you ask? Since a lot of what special forces do is secret
    hard for an outsider to really know if what they did was vital ,a handy diversion which made things easier ,but,we would have won anyway
    Or a waste of resources which could have been used to do something else.
    No idea myself their still around so guess the rest of the army things they
    must be useful.

12. When I was first through the window at the Embassy, I promised Andy Mcnob I would never mention anything about it.

If I tell you, you know I have to kill you?

13. The driving rain was howling over the ridge of Peny Fan, tugging at the 65lbs Bergen and causing it to bounce against the open sores just under my sweat drenched smock. Ahead of me I saw a line of rocks and knew that I simply had to get over them to make the next CP in record time. Biting back the pain I strode on, insinctively knowing that evry pace took me closer to my destintation, I had moentarily lost my way coming past Torpantu Station but realsied that the next dam I saw would be the finish and I was first by over 8 minutes.

The tugging at my back increased and I realised that it wasn't Lofty, but Cpl Brown - The Guard Commander,
    "wake up you scrote and get back on that gate, before I rip you a new A hole." Happy Days being on Stag!

14. That's actually quite good! :twisted: