• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

British Special Forces

Have British Special Forces always played a major role in ensuring victory in conflicts the British Army has fought in?
I recently saw a documentary on the Falklands War and it talked about the Goose Green diversionary raid made by the SAS and how important it was in helping the British retake the Islands. I know during GW1
(and probably GW2 also) the SAS and SBS played a vital role in operations within Iraq and Kuwait by severely limiting the capabilities of the Iraqi Army but have the British SF been instrumental in all conflicts fought?

Andy_S

LE
Book Reviewer
They were on the balcony at Le Haye Sainte, granting them a critical role at Waterloo;
Their heliborne raid into the heart of the Delhi fortress was instrumental in dismantling the Indian Mutiny;
Alas, their failure to deactivate the Russian cannon balls before Balaclava spelled disaster for the Light Brigade

Of course, this has all been hushed up.

Depends who you ask? Since a lot of what special forces do is secret
hard for an outsider to really know if what they did was vital ,a handy diversion which made things easier ,but,we would have won anyway
Or a waste of resources which could have been used to do something else.
No idea myself their still around so guess the rest of the army things they
must be useful.

When I was first through the window at the Embassy, I promised Andy Mcnob I would never mention anything about it.

If I tell you, you know I have to kill you?

The driving rain was howling over the ridge of Peny Fan, tugging at the 65lbs Bergen and causing it to bounce against the open sores just under my sweat drenched smock. Ahead of me I saw a line of rocks and knew that I simply had to get over them to make the next CP in record time. Biting back the pain I strode on, insinctively knowing that evry pace took me closer to my destintation, I had moentarily lost my way coming past Torpantu Station but realsied that the next dam I saw would be the finish and I was first by over 8 minutes.

The tugging at my back increased and I realised that it wasn't Lofty, but Cpl Brown - The Guard Commander,
"wake up you scrote and get back on that gate, before I rip you a new A hole." Happy Days being on Stag!

Outstanding said:
The driving rain was howling over the ridge of Peny Fan, tugging at the 65lbs Bergen and causing it to bounce against the open sores just under my sweat drenched smock. Ahead of me I saw a line of rocks and knew that I simply had to get over them to make the next CP in record time. Biting back the pain I strode on, insinctively knowing that evry pace took me closer to my destintation, I had moentarily lost my way coming past Torpantu Station but realsied that the next dam I saw would be the finish and I was first by over 8 minutes.

The tugging at my back increased and I realised that it wasn't Lofty, but Cpl Brown - The Guard Commander,
"wake up you scrote and get back on that gate, before I rip you a new A hole." Happy Days being on Stag!
That's actually quite good! :twisted:

woody said:
Depends who you ask? Since a lot of what special forces do is secret
hard for an outsider to really know if what they did was vital ,a handy diversion which made things easier ,but,we would have won anyway
Or a waste of resources which could have been used to do something else.
No idea myself their still around so guess the rest of the army things they
must be useful.
This is part of the reason I was asking, in recent years (basically since GW1) members of UKSF releasing their accounts of the alleged battles they've fought in. Andy McNob's Bravo Two Zero has been widely criticized, most notably by Micael Asher, for giving away many of the SAS's operational secrets and for exaggerations and complete lies in the events that are supposed to have occurred.
As far as B2O is concerned, did the mission accomplish any of it's goals and can any of the many accounts be regarded as anything more than individual stories of what the authors would have liked to have happened?

Alsacien

MIA
Andy McNob ......

This being the same Andy McNab who passed selection and served 10 years in the SAS, and was awarded two medals for gallantry, the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) and Military Medal (MM) during his military career.
Obviously a complete tool....

If you ever met him I bet you would not call him a knob to his face and tell him what a fukcing failure you think he is.....

Alsacien said:
Andy McNob ......

This being the same Andy McNab who passed selection and served 10 years in the SAS, and was awarded two medals for gallantry, the Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) and Military Medal (MM) during his military career.

If you ever met him I bet you would not call him a knob to his face and tell him what a fukcing failure you think he is.....

You are probably right, can you see where I said he is a ' fukcing failure' though?

REMEbrat said:
Have British Special Forces always played a major role in ensuring victory in conflicts the British Army has fought in?
I recently saw a documentary on the Falklands War and it talked about the Goose Green diversionary raid made by the SAS and how important it was in helping the British retake the Islands. I know during GW1
(and probably GW2 also) the SAS and SBS played a vital role in operations within Iraq and Kuwait by severely limiting the capabilities of the Iraqi Army but have the British SF been instrumental in all conflicts fought?
No at Agincourt it was (mainly Welsh) archers

And Crecy

Alsacien said:
Andy McNob ......

I would as he wouldnt be able to see me with the masking tape over his eyes.

Latest Threads