British soldiers in the Russian Revolution

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Benjamin1876, Nov 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is anybody please able to point me in the direction of where I may find the names of British regiments which served in the British Expeditionary force that was sent to help the White Russians during their revolution

thanks, in anticipation of some assistance, cant find anything on the web that mentions the actual units.

2. 2/10 Royal Scots
    6th Yorkshire Rgt

6th Btn RMLI

3. Thank you tiger stacker, that was quick, and very helpful to me in some family history research we are doing

best wishes

4. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

There were some tanks as well, not usre we crewed them or just sent them.

North Russia Campaign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also cut and pasted from elsewhere on wiki.

Northern Russia
    Main article: North Russia Campaign

Captured British Mark V tank in Arkhangelsk
    Memorial to the victims of the intervention in MurmanskBritish Army (6th Yorkshire Regiment, 2/10th Royal Scots, some Royal Dublin Fusiliers 52 Bn Manchester Regt., others?)
    Royal Navy (plus a detachment of 53 US Navy sailors - including Harold Gunnes - from the USS Olympia during August and September 1918 only)
    Royal Air Force (Fairey Campania and Sopwith Baby seaplanes along with a single Sopwith Camel fighter)[1]
    French Army (21st Colonial Battalion)
    Canadian Field Artillery (67th and 68th Batteries of the 16th Brigade, Canadian Field Artillery)
    Slavo-British Allied Legion (aka SBAL, anti-Bolshevik forces, included Dyer's Battalion, British-trained and led)
    White Russian Army (previously the army of Kerensky's provisional Russian government, anti-Bolshevik, led by General Evgenii Miller)
    US army, American North Russia Expeditionary Force (aka Polar Bear Expedition, 310th Engineers, 339th Infantry, 337th Field Hospital, and 337th Ambulance Company)
    US army, 167th and 168th Railroad Companies (sent to Murmansk to operate the Murmansk to Petrograd line)
    Miscellaneous Allied troops from Poland, Serbia and Italy
    British North Russian Relief Force (arrived in late May 1919 to cover the withdrawal of US and Allied troops)

5. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

The Tank corps had forty Mkv tanks in southern Russia in 1919 in the Area of Tsaristen(Stalingrad/Volgagrad) two of the tanks were recently discovered in a scrap yard in Ukraine and have been refurbished

• Like Like x 1
  6. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

RAF/ RNAS also had contingents from September 1918,in the North useing DH4s and British aircraft that had been given to Russia ealer in the war,Nieuport 17, and Sopwith 1 1/2 strutters.In the South No 47 Squadron was deployed from Greece in Aptil 1918 and later joined by 221 sqn both equiped with DH9 bombers and some Sopwith Camels, later they were backed up with "A".flight of No 17 sqn

7. Southern Russia is covered in the Book Last Train Over Rostov Bridge.

8. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

We had naval forces, including Coastal Motor Boats and submarines, in the Baltic, where Lieutenant Agar was awarded the VC for sinking the Red cruiser Oleg with his CMB. The boss of the submarines, Commander Cromie, was shot dead by a Red on the steps of the British Embassy.

Besides regular units there was an effort to recruit odds and sods for Red-bashing. A note in my grandfather's Army Form B199a says: "Assisted Russian Embassy in the recruiting of volunteer officers for General Yudenitch. Did not materialise owing to failure of Petrograd offensive". This was in 1919 between the British West Indies Regiment being repatriated and his going out to Jamaica to rejoin the West India Regiment (having missed Sandhurst and entering via the Militia, he was one of the Army's odd-job men basically). More about Yudenitch on Wiki.

9. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

10. thanks for all the info fellas, the reason I asked is because of some info given to me by a cousin, who Dad, my uncle, (died 1980s) had told his son that in WW1 he served in the Hampshire Regt, also in the London Irish, and also in the East Surrey Regt, and also in Royal Signals, and I first thought that was strange for one man to serve 3 different infantry regiments in one war, then in the Signals, then he said his Dad went to Archangel, undertook a forced march south where the bloke next to him was killed by a sniper, then they withdrew and went back to England where he was demobbed in 1919. From my own service and knowledge of British Army I thought it strange that my uncle moved among units so often, he was born end of 1899 and understood he enlisted in late 1917 or early 1918, and wondered how he fit some many changes into his short time of service, then the Russia service really capped it off and I have the impression he told his son some "warries" to impresss him, but will either have to ask for his service record (not cheap) or come to conclusions based on some advice from those who know more about Brit service in russia than I do and cant find on the net, even with the good pointers given. Thanks though, for the info so far, has helped me to put some of his "service" in perspective, would appreciate any more info though

11. 2nd Bn, The Hampshire Regiment

15 May 1919 Sailed from Tilbury
    21 May 1919 Arrived Archangel
    22 Jun 1919 Embarked on barges towed by steamers.
    06 Jun 1919 Arrived at the front at Bereznik

In reality 2 Hants at this time was a composite battalion, demobilisation post WW1 was already underway and 2 Hants had been reduced to a very small cadre.

HQ Coy (Hants)
    W Coy (Hants)
    X Coy (Somersets)
    Y Coy (Dorsets)
    Z Coy (Wilts)

27 Sep 1919 the battalion embarked for England
    06 Oct 1919 arrived Tilbury Docks

On disembarkation of 866 ORs Hants = 154, Wilts = 184, Somersets = 118, Dorsets = 70, Guardsmen = 37, Scots = 40, Irish = 100. during its short existance between re-raising after de-mobilization and its return from North Russia a 27 regiments had been represented within its ranks.

During this campaign it had sustained 7 KIA and MIA, with 17 wounded.

12. One of my former girlfriend's father won the MC in Russia in 1919 and later made PoW by the Bolsheviks! He was in the East Surreys but had been attached to the Machine Gun Corps during WW1, unfortunately he had passed away before I met her as I would love to have talked to him about it! Incidentally he had gone on to get the DSO in WW2 and had the distinction of being sent as part of the mission to Mihailovitch in Jugoslavia! His daughter told me he was quite bitter about the way the British Govt abandoned him (Mihailovitch), favouring Tito instead!

13. If it's any help, the 17th Battalion Kings (Liverpool) Regiment sailed for Russia on 10th October 1918, arriving at Murmansk a week later. The battalion was involved in several actions against the Bolsheviks, mainly at Tarrasova, Avda and Bereznik, suffering about 15 dead. The battalion eventually sailed for Britain on 2nd September 1919.

14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

...and, bizarrely, an Armoured Car Squadron manned by Royal Naval Division personnel.....

The Mk V alluded to:
    [​IMG]

15. Personally i think we should have given the Kaiser's army its weapons back and taken them East to help throttle communism at birth. It would have let them save a bit of face which might have given us a less harsh versaille treaty and a less bitter population

• Like Like x 1