• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

British soldiers getting posted back to Minden after 20 years !

Had to rub my eyes in disbelief, but apparently it`s already been officially announced to the Germans.

23 Amphibious Eng. are moving to Minden effective May 2014.

A rather curious humiliating arrangement seems to have been agreed which involves them moving in with the Bundeswehr at the Herzog von Braunschweig Kaserne till 2017.

Whoever would have thought it.

There will be a bit of commuting for those involved though, as all the quarters will be in Bielefeld !

The retreat from Germany is beginning to look like what it really is, bankrupt desperation.

WOW!!!!!! krank up Simeonstrasse , hope they all speak Russian , minden is full of em,pity all the quarters in Rodenbeck are gone!only across the road from der kaserne, will they be opening the Sgts Mess on Canalufer strasse, or the officers mess on Simeons Glacis???

Gosh I bet the natives are twitching,don't worry Mr Burgermeister the Cameronians aren't returning!
when I was in Minden last May ,many mindener business men were saying the worst thing that happened to the town was for the british to move out, for pimpernel I helped clear up and rebuild relationships after the crap the Cams left,

Pretty much everywhere has felt the pain when we've pulled out.

Don't think Hohne will fair too well after the drawdown. Brits must outnumber the Germans round there.

Gosh I bet the natives are twitching,don't worry Mr Burgermeister the Cameronians aren't returning!
I guess there will be an awful lot of people on here who won't have a bloody clue who the Cameronians were, Google is your friend!. Look for the "poison dwarfs" and other such lovely names.
As for commuting, I used to drive from Georgesmarionhutte to Herford daily and that was before the new roads they have built now, about an hour as I recall.

WOW!!!!!! krank up Simeonstrasse , hope they all speak Russian , minden is full of em,pity all the quarters in Rodenbeck are gone!only across the road from der kaserne, will they be opening the Sgts Mess on Canalufer strasse, or the officers mess on Simeons Glacis???
It's a troop plus / coy minus at best. So all Sgts & officers will be accommodated in Catterick Bks messes, with a daily commute to endure and spare power packs and elements of the fitter section etc being held in Rochdale Bks, Bielefeld. Minded is nice. I bought my lederhosens there.

As one of the old and bold who survived the dwarves rampage in minden,and the animosity that hung around for years afterwards,its the Russians and the Pxxxys that are the real danger in todays Minden, might even cosider letting the grandson open up Maxims if the lads behave!!

Think he'd be more worried it was the Argylls again............
Our interpretation of damage is relative, yes the Argylls, RHF and others were bad lads. However the Cameronians minced the place in the 60s, and when the mortars were assembled on the drill squares Minden was nearly lit up with illum rounds, God forbid what was going to go down the barrels after that!
A lesser non BAOR fact was that In 1956 the HLI ploughed a parade square in Cyprus, why? Because they were pissed off with drill, at least they were honest!

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Our interpretation of damage is relative, yes the Argylls, RHF and others were bad lads. However the Cameronians minced the place in the 60s, and when the mortars were assembled on the drill squares Minden was nearly lit up with illum rounds, God forbid what was going to go down the barrels after that!
A lesser non BAOR fact was that In 1956 the HLI ploughed a parade square in Cyprus, why? Because they were pissed off with drill, at least they were honest!
As far as I remember it only took 11 Bde about six weeks to force BHQ to ban us from crossing the Wesser into the centre (and interesting bit) of Minden. Due to the sudden increase in fighting between ourselves and The Queens, apparently they never fought with The Anglians. In fact a few Anglians transferred to the Queens so they could stay in Minden/BFG.
Speaking of Mortars, we used to fire the old practice rounds around the back of the QM's block in Elizabeth Barracks, boredom led to us managing to "modify" the firing cartridges and almost tripling the range. Great fun, until the QM Tech saw the holes we were making in the football pitch!

I enjoyed Minden. We were in Clifton Bks which is now a car park, 1RRF were in Elizabeth Bks so the normal battles took place in the stadt on most weekends. The locals were not happy when the army left, a lot of people ended up on the dole.

the towns, folk of minden openly regret the british military leaving town,over 60 pubs and imbisses closed down,the private rental section losing all its british tenants and all the vacant married quarters, sent the realestate market into a downward spiral that it has never recovered from, my 4 storey family home on boogey street (simeon strasse ) for the under 40,s:mrgreen: was valued last year at 49 grand, other houses in the town centre are going for 30 to 40 grand,there are still plenty of left over jocks swanning around minderheide dreaming of bygone glorydays:geek:

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
As far as I remember it only took 11 Bde about six weeks to force BHQ to ban us from crossing the Wesser into the centre (and interesting bit) of Minden. Due to the sudden increase in fighting between ourselves and The Queens, apparently they never fought with The Anglians. In fact a few Anglians transferred to the Queens so they could stay in Minden/BFG.
Speaking of Mortars, we used to fire the old practice rounds around the back of the QM's block in Elizabeth Barracks, boredom led to us managing to "modify" the firing cartridges and almost tripling the range. Great fun, until the QM Tech saw the holes we were making in the football pitch!
I was also there at that time, the soldiers pay was arranged so that the Cameronians were paid on one Thursday and we were paid on the next. Most of the brawls had taken place in and about the area of the 'Deutscher Haus' pub.
Profuma the Minister of Defense came out to pay a visit, as the papers back home had been carrying the stories for some time. Fighting and drunkenness were made prevalent offences, a curfew was placed on the Brigade for 11pm each night. The river boundary of the River Weser was not to be crossed by either of the battalions that resided one side of it.
I liked Minden the people were fine, one German watching a few soldiers fighting on a cobbled car park said to me. "Someone aught to tell them that the war is over" I have many happy memories of that town especially of the very hot summer of 1959, when blood flowed hot in my veins and a certain part of me burned a hole in my combat trousers.

The name of the pub was not Deutsche Haus but the Schachtschleuse(the Canal Locks)the deutshes haus known by the locals as Mariettas!! was at that time the only gaybar in minden,dont think it was frequented by the jockanese,their is a small plaque in the mindener museum commemerating the death of the cameronian soldier killed by bargees at the locks

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
The name of the pub was not Deutsche Haus but the Schachtschleuse(the Canal Locks)the deutshes haus known by the locals as Mariettas!! was at that time the only gaybar in minden,dont think it was frequented by the jockanese,their is a small plaque in the mindener museum commemerating the death of the cameronian soldier killed by bargees at the locks
Gretings Nignoy, It was the Deutsche because I lived in there for a month while awaiting a Quarter. It was a hundred metres from the main town end of the Weser bridge and faced onto a large cobbled square. In the narrow streets behind the Deutsche Haus there were two other good pubs. While in the pubs you had to keep your eyes on something neutral- if you looked at a Jock he saw it as a challenge.

Latest Threads