British Soldiers Fail Drugs Test after R&R in Cancun

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Manxie2305, Nov 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In light of the recent BAD publicity that the British Army have received after 17 Soldiers from the 5 Scots failed their CDT (Compulsory Drugs Test), I feel complelled to write this Article just to let the World know that it is indeed the Minority, as usual that gets the British Army into the Headlines for all the wrong Reasons.

5 Scots came to Cancun during October 2007 for their R&R period, after a grueling 6 week Exercise in the Jungles of Belize. More than 400 of the Soldiers visited Cancun, and stayed in the Oasis Cancun Hotel at KM 16 of the Hotel Zone.

These soldiers were in Actual fact very good ambassadors for the British Army, were well behaved, polite and wore British Army, BE THE BEST t-shirts all around Cancun. The T-Shirts were very highly sought after items, and were seen around the streets of Cancun for days after the soldiers had actually gone back to Belize.

The Scots brough with them 2 Pipers, and in the Lobby of the Oasis Cancun, the guys began to play. Every Guest without exception, as well as the Hotel staff came running to the Lobby to see what was going on, and to join in the Party. Video Cameras appeared from everywhere to film the events, and I guess it won't be long before these video clips begin to appear on You Tube, all the while British Army T-Shirts were seen everywhere.

It was amazing to see people from as far away as Chile, Peru, Japan and Australia joining in the Party. British Army T-Shirts are no doubt at this moment being worn around the World, as people remember the good times that they had on holiday in Cancun with the British Soldiers.

The Pipers were then playing in the Party Zone in Cancun, in Hooters Cancun, The Congo Bar and Senor Frogs. Pictures have been posted on www.hooterscancun.com in their Photo Gallery, and are also on www.flickr.com (Scottish Piper Cancun). The Hooters Girls also ran around in the Main Hooters Restaurant in the Party Zone for the week, wearing British Army Shirts, and then presented 5 Scots with a Hooters Shirt signed by all the Girls, with a Message "BE SAFE IN AFGHANISTAN" which is their next Operational Tour.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/britsincancun/1662226950/in/set-72157602496739614/

The other point to be made here, is that there has been NO EVIDENCE that the guys actually took the Drugs while in Cancun, who's to say that they didn't take the stuff before they left the UK.

As always though the UK Media are quick to jump on something that is BAD News and publish it, without knowing anything about THE GOOD stuff that happened behind the Scenes. It is time that the Media actually got behind The British Forces and started Supporting them, rather than finding every available scandle to Drag them through the Mud. Maybe it's time to start Drugs Testing members of the Media !!

Come on the British Public, it's time to start Supporting Our Forces, as they support you during times of crisis, such as the Fireman's Strike and the Recent Flooding in the UK.

We Support British Forces.
    http://www.britsincancun.com/

2. A while back the Brit media started running stories about Dave Cameroun having taken drugs at Eaton.

Private Eye contacted each London title at the time of this to ask if their editors had ever taken drugs.

The answers,from around 95% of those asked,either no comment or no reply.

Something to hide? shurely shome mistake!.

Those in glasshouses........

3. Give your head a wobble for fucks sake. They were tested 6 weeks AFTER leaving the UK. You may be able to fool civvies with your ambassadors bollox but most on this site know what soldiers get up to on the lash in holiday resorts (booze, women, fighting, and in the scots case, drugs).

EDIT to add: And what if they did take 'the stuff' before leaving the UK? Does that make it alright then? :roll:

4. Never admit anything. ;-)

5. What he said.

Manxie, for what it's worth.

Do one.

6. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Looks like they had a good time:
    http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1849652007

7. WTF - Sorry, with Fallschirmjager on this one - what kind of PR bollux is this post about?

Or, is this the sound made when somebody starts to worry that an income source may now be cut off. "I feel compelled..." - Look forward to your posts on the broken covenant and the pizzpoor management of the armed forces by the government, or will "Cancun getting a bad name" be the extent of input?

Toddkelman puts it pretty well Manxie2305, Do One.

8. And they accuse me of being cynical? :lol:

9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

l agree with these two. L once had my drink spiked with something at a pish up at kinnegar camp by a civvie 'friend' & have been offered drugs in a bar in bangor (just down from what was Charlie Hegarties, the para's local bangor boozer) & the bloke said he thought we were squaddies from palace. Does that make me a druggie? I think not so why the need for the pr post?trying to pass the buck on the towns drug problem perhaps?

10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

l agree with these two. L once had my drink spiked with something at a pish up at kinnegar camp by a civvie 'friend' & have been offered drugs in a bar in bangor (just down from what was Charlie Hegarties, the para's local bangor boozer) & the bloke said he thought we were squaddies from palace. Does that make me a druggie? I think not so why the need for the pr post?trying to pass the buck on the towns drug problem perhaps?

11. Ah, come on Biscuits, you're not just cynical, the words twisted and bitter should also be added into the mix - I like to think that I may have finally attained your high standards. :D

12. The Army to a great extent reflects the society from which it comes. They can only do so much to hold the ring. And in CIVPOP - about 95% of the youngsters are off their faces every weekend.

13. msr

msr LE

This does: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_test see under 'detection periods'.

msr

14. Seems LSD is the way forward then.

15. Unfortunately when there are 100,000 plus soldiers serving you will get a percentage of those who do take drugs but at least we have CDT to catch the idiots. There is no specific type of misuser, they could be from any unit, any rank but i bet if they took a cross section between squaddies and a similar amount of civvies in that age group the ratio would be. In fact Id go as far as saying take a cross section of the Army against a cross section of politicians and have a look at how many of them have taken drugs compared to the forces.
    I feel sorry for anyone having their drinks spiked, I had mine spiked pre CDT so know how easy it was but now adays people should be more aware. Anyone caught taking drugs are justly punished but i dont see why the original poster feels the need to try and protect the whole of service personnel over in Cancun has everyone realise its the minority who spoil it and does it really matter WHERE they took drugs, they took them and its now hopefully Endex for them. Unfortunately the vermin from the press will put any crap in the papers when its a no news day.