Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

British soldiers cleared of tribal rapes..

D

Deleted 11220

British soldiers cleared of tribal rapes after £3m inquiry finds forged records
Times Online
Link

British soldiers have been cleared over allegations that they raped hundreds of tribeswomen during training exercises in Kenya, The Times has learnt.

An inquiry that has cost the British taxpayer more than £3 million has established that police records were forged with the connivance of senior Kenyan officers to support the claims.

The findings, being made public today, are certain to increase tensions between Britain and its former East African colony. Relations are already strained over British accusations of high-level corruption and demands for ministerial dismissals.

The investigation by the Royal Military Police (RMP) has concluded that there is not one single case to answer out of 2,187 reported rapes. A team of 12 to 18 investigators spent ten months in Kenya between October 2003 and July 2004 and interviewed all 2,187 claimants, most of whom were Masai and Samburu tribeswomen from some of the most remote areas, where about 3,000 British servicemen train every year.

Working with local interpreters, the investigators deemed only 281 cases worthy of further examination. These fell apart on closer scrutiny and during follow-up interviews with other local people and former members of the Army in Britain.

One woman told The Times that her baby was the result of an affair with an Italian exchange student, but took part in the protest after she was told that there was a chance of large payouts.

You may be onto something there, T_T...

armchair_jihad said:
Its those pesky no win no fee human rights legal carpet baggers

then shouldnt these same ambulance chasers get the court bill for costs if the claim proves blatently false??

notice the lie adjusters , oops sorry, lawers, never get censored or have anything to loose for these obvious fake time and money wasting claims.

As I remember, our dear PTP prohibited any discussion on this matter (real or/and alleged rapes and related matters). If the ban han't been removed then I would not take part into the discussion.

PTP's ban has been lifted Sergy as the case has been thrown out by the Court.

An inquiry that has cost the British taxpayer more than £3 million has established that police records were forged with the connivance of senior Kenyan officers to support the claims.

The findings represent a significant setback for Martyn Day, a British human rights lawyer, whose firm, Leigh Day & Co, compiled the rape allegations. Mr Day worked closely with Impact, a local non-governmental organisation that has been shunned by Western aid agencies because of concerns about alleged financial irregularities. Impact is said to have offered payments to several women who went on to claim that they were raped. Mr Day has been involved in a number of cases against the British Government in Kenya, including a recent attempt to win compensation for Mau Mau veterans alleging torture.

He has been accused of feeding a compensation frenzy after winning several million pounds for alleged victims of unexploded ordnance left by the British Army. As many as 233 claimants shared £4.5 million in 2003, but admit openly that their claims were bogus and their wounds the result of activities unconnected with the British Army.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2502529,00.html

armchair_jihad said:
PTP's ban has been lifted Sergy as the case has been thrown out buy the Court.

The findings represent a significant setback for Martyn Day, a British human rights lawyer, whose firm, Leigh Day & Co, compiled the rape allegations. Mr Day worked closely with Impact, a local non-governmental organisation that has been shunned by Western aid agencies because of concerns about alleged financial irregularities. Impact is said to have offered payments to several women who went on to claim that they were raped. Mr Day has been involved in a number of cases against the British Government in Kenya, including a recent attempt to win compensation for Mau Mau veterans alleging torture.

He has been accused of feeding a compensation frenzy after winning several million pounds for alleged victims of unexploded ordnance left by the British Army. As many as 233 claimants shared £4.5 million in 2003, but admit openly that their claims were bogus and their wounds the result of activities unconnected with the British Army.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2502529,00.html

Dear AJ!

I know, respect and understand the causes of this rule (not to discuss any alleged crime by British servecemen until court's ruling). I meant another ban - not to discuss alleged (or real) rapes, no matter what is the juridicial state of such cases.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=16316/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=165.html

This thread will be closed if I see another reference to rape.

The thread title is NOT who raped who . Either drop it, or i'll bin the thread.

This was a very good thread, till it was bogged down in semantics. I have rmailed Mr. Beevor's publicist , and asked if he would care to comment on his work. If he should reply , we will know.

KGB , No more Rape posts or threads.

Ditto everyone else

PTP

Also on this ground our dear PTP closed this thread

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=17738/highlight=rape.html

So if a discussion of proved, confirmed rapes made in Vietnam by our American friends is not allowed then it would be unfair to discuss these Kenian allegations.

Well aware as I am that amongst the 2000 claims there may have been some that were valid, it does show that once the 'free loaders' get on the band wagon, 'justice' for those who have been wronged gets thrown out with the baby.

Or could it be that over 2000 women all just wanted the compo payout? Are there going to be any claims of false accusation? Can anyone in Kenya making a criminal claim be taken seriously ever again?

Sergei, I'm concerned by your fixation with rape, and your unusual interest when it involves brits or yanks. Is anglo-rape some sort of fetish for you?

Its unfortunate if any guilty people have got away with it ,but,considering
the debacle with the munitions compensation any other decision would be wrong.
Thats supposing with 2000 claims some were genuine they may all
be fake .Cant blame the women having a mixed race child by all accounts is considred a social stigma and if some lawyer turned up offering free money they would be foolish to turn it down.Glad the whole
sorry busisness is over .Without any soldiers facing a witch hunt.

They made it all up for the money? I'm shocked, whoever would have thought our largesse would be abused in such a way.

I loved this bit...

The inquiry uncovered dozens of forged entries in police files about the alleged incidents, some of which dated back 55 years. “All entries relating to the alleged rapes had been fabricated, some of them some considerable time afterwards,” the source said. The forgeries, some astonishingly clumsy, at time almost farcical, were uncovered by British scientific experts working with Kenyan counterparts, who concurred with the findings.

What's the betting there was a pile of 1950's police reports filled out with 1990's biros? :D

Heres Mr Days e-mail address Im going to write him a 'thank you' letter for being a money grabbing twat, but not quite in those terms..

mailto:mday@leighday.co.uk