British soldiers banned from using live bullets to save mone

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Aug 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Sunday Times
    August 30, 2009
    British soldiers banned from using live bullets to save money

Michael Smith

British soldiers are being forced to train with blanks rather than live rounds to save money.

The entire Territorial Army (TA) and a number of nonfrontline regular army units will be affected by the ban on the use of real bullets in personal weapons, according to defence sources.

Soldiers bound for Afghanistan will be spared the restrictions, but even they will start training with live rounds only in the last three months before departure. Those learning to shoot as part of basic training will also be allowed to use real bullets.

Patrick Mercer, the Tory MP and a former infantry commanding officer, said: “The idea that our frontline reserves should not be able to use live rounds is quite extraordinary.
  2. Have we, as a nation, really been reduced to this.

When will someone grow a spine and arrest brown and darling for criminal negligence, or at least misconduct in public office?
  3. Perhaps we should bring all our soldiers home, get them to stand in a big circle, and beam malevolent thoughts at the enemy. That is about as chaep as it can ever get.
  4. That reminds me of one of the best lines in cinema history.

(The space marines in Aliens have just been ordered to remove magazines from all battle rifles and use flame units only, in case their armour-piercing ammo damages the nuclear reactor cooling system).

"What are we supposed to use, harsh language?"

(Of course, they disobey the order, just like I would).
  5. They'll be issuing these next

6. Wh'!.......I!!.........Arrrrgghhh!.....Can this be TRUE?......Oh God, what a mess, what a bloody awfull mess. :x :x :x :x :x :x
  7. U must be up early this morning cause Ive just read this article in the paper LOL.

Its a bit of a joke this... I mean times are hard yes but **** sack times are not that hard were u have to cutback on funding the army. So they will start giving us stick and stones to train with.
  8. This article has the ring of truth to it.

Interestingly, it mentions' Clown' Brown's surprise jolly to Afghanistan to '....bolster support...' for the war. How extraordinary that he should venture so far from his bunker with that purpose in mind.

He could stay in No. 10 and provide in theatre much needed equipment and manpower - provide not promise.

He could clearly state the political aim of this sad and tragic misadventure brought about by his predecessor's vanity.

He could order the appropriate care for the wounded and disabled.

He could outline the exit strategy.

Most importantly of all, he could call a general election.
  9. But, Sir, what if someone comes at you with a pointed stick?
  10. [​IMG]

I think that covers my points.
  11. What next, the Lancers practising on horseback with a pigsticker?
  12. Time to fix bayonets !
  13. Saving money?
    or concerns about a possible coup?
  14. IIRC this isn't the 1st time this has happened.

GW1, we went to the Belgiums for ammo and were told to do one. We had been firing our war stocks and not replenishing them to save money. Ended up mating yank arty ammo with ours.

This initially caused a few headaches, as there was no FT's for the data and a few SMIG's didn't look too happy on the gun line, for the 1st couple or rounds down range. :D

Lets not even think about track mileage...
  15. You have got to be joking. I am about to sign up again and I am not too happy about messing around with blanks