British Soldiers Admit Abusing Afghans

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by cpunk, Jun 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

2. I'm off for some fitness and kit prep.

:)

3. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

With typical BBC lack of research the PM programme on Radio4 described one of them as "an officer" who had been "reduced to the ranks" as a punishment.

4. Commando Comics have a lot to answer for.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ref: Reduction in the ranks.

True story. About 5 or 6 years back, a group of police lay visitors turned up at a nick: Paddington Green as memory serves me. As part of their visit, they asked to see a selection of old video recordings of the custody area.

Imagine their surprise, when a uniform inspector was seen alone in one of the cells knocking one out. Huge embarrassment, followed by a rigorous investigation. The offending inspector was identified and subsequent appeared in front of a disciplinary board. He was dismissed the service but he appealed against sanction.

The appeal was allowed and the sanction varied to reduction to PC.

Can you imagine anyone wanting to show his face again under those circumstances? His life would have been unbearable.

6. it used to be a prevalent military offence having a ****, on AA55, not sure it stands now ?

before anyone says it, I am a hardened criminal.

• Like Like x 3
  7. See you in about 6 years.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Nice bit of thread diversion there, but a cracking story! :)

Back on thread; in my humble opinion, the muppets involved should have had the book thrown at them, as their unprofessional and sordid actions have presented terry with a gift-wrapped opportunity to recruit even more brainwashed young radicals to their cause. Moral highground? Hardly.

9. Mohammed Shafiq, chief executive of the Ramadhan Foundation, which aims to promote better understanding between Muslims and non-Muslims, said he was alarmed and disgusted by the "minor" sentences given to the two men.

Is this where the phrase "contradiction in terms" comes from?

10. On the A55?

11. I don't know how much was written on the previous thread but this is strangely quiet for something as damning and unpleasant. Is this an isolated incident or the tip of the iceberg.

I am slightly uneasy that one of them has been allowed to stay in the Army after his ( I presume male ) conviction, maybe it's me overreacting.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

12. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Yes, a disgusting story in many ways. I think the fine and reduction in rank for the racial abuse was probably appropriate but the non-custodial sentence for the 'conduct prejudicial to good order and service discipline' offence seems surprisingly lenient, as indeed does the charge itself.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The implication to me is that there was not enough evidence for a charge under a meaningful section. S69 of the Army Act was a catch all in my day to pin something on a soldier when there was nothing else to book him with. It was possible back in the day get bang a soldier up for a month under a guilty verdict with S69 but anything else tended to be under another section.

IMO the prosecuting evidence must have been rather thin.

Anyone got a copy of the prosecution evidence?

14. I don't know the full story so correct me if I'm wrong but - couldn't it be the case that something has been blown out of all proportion but has been enthusiastically pursued in the misguided thought that publicising it will show certain people that we are also 'on their side' in the hope it will change opinions?