British soldier sentenced to 25 years

Now I'm not condoning murder, but this was committed when he was 15. If he had been tried then he would have been out when he turned 18 - wouldn't he? Since then he joined the army and rose to the rank of Sgt. Does this seem unfair????

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
Link!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/7674514.stm

A former soldier has been jailed for a minimum of 25 years for the murder of a Bangladeshi waiter in Orkney in 1994.

Sgt Michael Ross was just 15 when he shot 26-year-old Shamsuddin Mahmood in the head at close range in Kirkwall's Mumutaz restaurant.

Ross, 30, of Inverness, who became a Black Watch sniper, was found guilty of murder in June after a six-week trial at the High Court in Glasgow.

Judge Lord Hardie told him it was a "vicious, evil, unprovoked murder".

Mr Mahmood, born in Bangladesh, was shot in full view of a room full of diners, including families with children, by a masked gunman in June, 1994.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Given that his father (a policeman) perverted the course of justice, that he managed to escape detection for all those years, and that he commited a racially motivated murder - no.

More from the Beeb

Ross's father - police officer Eddie Ross who was called to the scene of the shooting - was later jailed for four years for trying to defeat the ends of justice.
Lord Hardie also said that the evidence showed that Ross held racist views and sympathy for Nazi Germany.

The judge added that Ross had gone onto have a career in the army and have a family, but said he had "deprived" his victim of the opportunity to have a family or further his career.

Lord Hardie went on: "Your actions in murdering him were an act of cowardice and, despite what was said about your army career, it is clear from your actions after conviction, that you are still a coward."

Fcuk him, he committed a murder, more so a racially motivated murder and covered it up for years leaving the victims poor family in limbo for years. He deserves everything he gets.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
And?

As we have already said he's a racist murderer who deserves everything he gets.

I'm thinking our friend Red-666 is fishing for a story.....

Red-666 said:
My point is that he was 15 when he did it. That is why the sentence seems overly harsh to me. As I said I don't condone it.
If justice had not been perverted when he was 15, then he would NEVER have been allowed in the Army.
So the wheel may have ground slow, but the ground exceedingly fine.
Me thinks.

BTW, why is every head shot, by a "sniper"? :roll:

So instead of British Soldier gets 25 years it would be more accurate to say, ex-soldier who was a 15 year old thug at the time gets 25 years for murder. Should have got life

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
He did -minimum term of 25 years.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Red-666 said:
Now I'm not condoning murder, but this was committed when he was 15. If he had been tried then he would have been out when he turned 18 - wouldn't he? Since then he joined the army and rose to the rank of Sgt. Does this seem unfair????

Tell me that you aren't serious?

If Peter Sutcliffe hadn't been caught and tipped up at a Police Station yesterday using the line: "It was me that killed them. However if you'd caught me back then I'd be out by now so just a slap on the wrist please" then that would be fair and just?

Jesus wept.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
He wouldn't. He would have been "Detained at Her Majesty's Pleasure". There would have been a minimum term before he would have been able to apply for parole. If he got it, he would be released on licence and if he fell foul of the law again, he would be called back to prison for the rest of his miserable life.

He wouldn't have got out at 18. No way for a case such as this. You would probably be correct in saying that he would be out sooner than the 25 year term, if he had been sentenced as a juvi.

Immaterial. He has gone down for a hateful crime. There are a few cases that deserve something more than simple incarceration. IMO, This is one of them.