British soldier reunited with SA80 rifle that saved his life

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Lower_Jumper, Dec 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

Link

2. I wonder which 'bar' they mean?

It would be nice to see this gat in a place where many can see it, not squirreled in the command corridor.

3. How jammy was he, eh? I wonder if he filled out a Lotto chitty that week.

MsG

4. I think it is in a fitting place in his Units' Bar, where it will be seen and appreciated by many in the future. No doubt if he wants the framed rifle to place elsewhere they will grant his wishes.

A remarkable story and one very brave and very lucky young man...

5. I should imagine he won't be cussing the SA80 and telling people to f*ck off when they whine about a stoppage.

Slightly confused about this statement though?

"The former Smestow School pupil was on his last mission before redeployment. " :?

6. Show this to the "SA80 never works" crowd

7. What he said.

Good on you Coley.

8. I wonder if the QM made him pay for a new one?

9. Edited for total mong comments, better man than I'll ever be.

I gather he still has various problems from his injuries too :/

10. I have known Luke for a while and never heard mixed things about him...

His injuries were pretty severe and he still walks with the use of a stick.

11. Very lucky and brave man to continue firing with a weapon in bits.

Mongoose I don't think hearing mixed things about the man has anything to do with the thread.

12. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Well done, wouldnt mind a look at that myself.

Random question then, this weapon is mounted in the 4 Mercian HQ building. I assume its deactivated etc? If not then they have a presumably working weapon hung up on the wall :)

13. Well, he did have THREE stoppages, one after the other :D

14. You obviously have picked up a bit of idle gossip and do not know the man (so in fact you are as much an authority to comment on him and his character as I am, because I have never met him either) so why bother to post something as snide as this comment?

Ickle bit jealous?

15. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I can confirm that it is in the all-ranks bar, "The Cole Bar" no less. It is shared with the cloudpuncher battery there, so everyone can see.

For those who are not aware, during a night time contact he was wounded but continued to fight the battle and administer aid to those wounded around him. For hours he was unreachable by friendly forces, who were throwing magazines forward to keep him from being overun. A genuinely modest and unassuming man, who I wish was in better health.