British Soldier marries brick!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by spike7451, Nov 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Congrats young man...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1293605,00.html

And The Bride Wore ... A Dress Of Bricks!
    By Claire Bates
    Sky News Online
    Updated:07:59, Wednesday November 21, 2007

A soldier serving with the British Army in Basra has 'married' his girlfriend - despite the pair being thousands of miles apart.

The groom takes position in BasraAnd next week Lance Bombadier Joseph Lomotey will see his wife for the first time.

The bizarre wedding ceremony took place in a tent in the Iraqi desert, where LBdr Lomotey, from Ghana, is serving with the Wiltshire-based 1st Regiment Royal Horse Artillery.

His comrades stunned him with the surprise service - made possible by Ghanaian law which allows couples to be apart on their wedding day if it is "physically impossible" for either to attend.

His girlfriend, 21-year-old Josephine Aggrey, who knew about the ruse, attended a traditional ceremony in Ghana.

A vicar officiated and she took her vows in the 'normal' way, with LBdr Lomotey's brother standing in for him and placing the wedding ring on her finger.

And at exactly the same time, the lads of 1RHA gathered in Basra - with a pile of bricks wearing a bikini as a makeshift Josephine - and held their own service.

Sergeant Andy Hadrick, LBdr Lomotey's immediate boss, conducted the ceremony "complete with a dog collar and a grin".

In Ghana, the bride receives her ringHe had earlier told the groom-to-be that he was in trouble for having a dirty rifle and ordered him to go off and clean it, in order for his colleagues to turn the tent into a church complete with an aisle and the 'bride'.

After a nervous, and bemused, wait at the altar, a picture of LBdr Lomotey's girlfriend was walked down the aisle and placed on the bricks while the rest of the guests hummed Here Comes The Bride.

Sgt Hadrick led a full service including hymns, exchanging vows and kissing the 'bride'.

Joseph administers the cake cuttingLBdr Lomotey said: "I was very surprised - and honoured - that the lads would do such a thing for me.

"I fully appreciate the time and effort needed to make this type of thing happen and was glad the troop could share one of the happiest days of my life.

"Even though it wasn't 'real,' it was very emotional for me."

Josephine said she was "very happy" with the service the soldiers and officers put together for her new husband.

The regiment has been on operational tour in Iraq for the past six months and is due home in time for Christmas.

Its commanding officer Lieutenant Colonel Simon Humphrey said: "I'm not sure if this is a first for the British Army, but it certainly is a great example of soldiers pulling together and looking after each other in adverse conditions."

2. More uses from a brick l suppose.
    At least it wont moan 24/7

3. All good for morale! 8) I can only wonder what went on during the Stag Night! 8O

Congratulations LBdr Lomotey!

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I guess some on here have married worse - and had similarly exciting wedding nights.....

5. went on the stag night?

all got plastered?

Or if on ops maybe they got mortared together?

6. Dad? :? If not, you share the same joke-writer! :D

7. sorry love didnt realise you was logged onto here as well.

What have l told you about chatting to strangers???!

8. Sorry missread the title, thought it was about Jarrod248 :oops: :oops: :oops:

9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Doesn't your joke book include anything about cementing the relationship?

or for parents only getting his LEGOver?

Coat. Taxi. Gone.

10. I imagine the one in Iraq was quiet but as for the one in Africa? who knows? (Am I the only one who sees Lobotomy when you read this guy's name?)

11. TFFT. I thought it was just me.

12. That's funny, because I saw "Angry" when I saw the bride's.

13. "A vicar officiated and she took her vows in the 'normal' way, with LBdr Lomotey's brother standing in for him and placing the wedding ring on her finger."

Did his brother stand in for him during the night???

14. Yep, that as well