British soldier dies in iraq 121208

Soldier from 20 Armoured Brigade killed in Iraq

12 Dec 08

It is with profound sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death in Basra yesterday, Thursday 11 December 2008, of a soldier serving with 20 Armoured Brigade.
Ministry of Defence

Ministry of Defence

At approximately 2200hrs local time, a report was received of a soldier who had suffered a gunshot wound within the Contingency Operating Base.

Immediate medical assistance was provided but sadly the soldier died at the scene.

No enemy forces were involved and there is no evidence at this stage to suggest that any third party was involved in the incident. An investigation by the Royal Military Police Special Investigations Branch is underway.

The soldier's next of kin have been informed and have requested a period of grace before further details are released.
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D.../SoldierFrom20ArmouredBrigadeKilledInIraq.htm

Initial post quoting a BBC release removed by me , to insert the original MoD release, as the BBC release seeks to pre-empt the investigation and the Coroner.

PTP

Very sad, RIP

Hearts go out...

Thanks PD...

so desperately sad, as always...RIP

RIP Deepest condolences to friends and family

R.I.P.

Latest news is 1 in Iraq and 4 in Afghanistan, I am just stunned, angry and something else I can't explain, something to do with losing the best people from the current generation, those more deserving to have a good life than myself I expect.
RIP.