British Snipers and sand, lots of sand

Ok its the Sun but -

A BRITISH sniper waging war on the Taliban is so deadly he has earned a chilling nickname — The Man Who Never Misses.

The unerring Army sharpshooter has killed 39 rebel fighters single-handedly.

His lethal L96A1 rifle has a range of 1,000 yards and is fitted with electronic sights and laser range-finders.

Earlier this year it was revealed that the Army is creating an elite force of almost 700 snipers, with all 38 infantry battalions required to have an 18-man platoon of sharpshooters by 2008. It will be the first time formal sniper platoons will have existed since the end of the First World War in 1918.

The decision follows the success of British and US sniper teams who have killed dozens of terrorists on recent operations in Afghanistan and Iraq.

In 2003 Royal Marines sniper Corporal Matt Hughes killed an Iraqi gunman from 900 yards with a “wonder shot” in which he aimed 56ft to the left and 35ft high to allow for wind.

article in full

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006350757,00.html

In 2003 Royal Marines sniper Corporal Matt Hughes killed an Iraqi gunman from 900 yards with a “wonder shot” in which he aimed 56ft to the left and 35ft high to allow for wind.

That's some serious windage! :eek: what can you say but "Good drills"!
I was more then happy just to get 8 out of 10 in a Huns head Tgt @ 400m with no wind laying prone on the range at Lydd :oops:

If Cpl Hughes shot is being reported accurately (NB : this IS the Scum, remember) then ... good drills fella!

Well done Cpl Hughes. :D

Time to reach out and touch someone. 900 yds sounds pretty good to me :lol:

fastmedic

I'm usually 56ft to the left and 35ft high of any target.

I did a jolly with my old TA unit providing transport for the snipers course at ITC Brecon many moons ago, I watched them on the 'Range'. Range being, they sit on one hill and shoot at another target on another hill... Really good stuff, needless to say I could have hit the target myself.... honest...... no really I could honest guv...

Ronnie8781 said:
The Sun always supporting our boys, what a first class top notch paper!!
Ronnie i not some sarcasem in your tone, but hey its the scum so lets not read it

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
armchair_jihad said:
There's targets? I thought we just had to try and hit the big sand bank thing at the far end.

chrisg46 said:
armchair_jihad said:
There's targets? I thought we just had to try and hit the big sand bank thing at the far end.
No its the Green thingies above and behind the big sandy thing

armchair_jihad said:
Ok its the Sun but -

A BRITISH sniper waging war on the Taliban is so deadly he has earned a chilling nickname — The Man Who Never Misses.

Is it only me, or is that not a particularly 'chilling' nickname. I can't imagine the blokes walking up to him and saying "Hi The Man Who Never Misses are you off to scoff?". Surely we could come up with something better than that?

'The Man Who Never Misses'

what a shite nickname, are his mates that thick that they cant think of something better?
fcuk me, even 'tiddles' is more chilling.

Indeed Crap Spy it did strike me as a bit tame. What suggestions have you?

Filbert Fox said:

what a shite nickname, are his mates that thick that they cant think of something better?
You need to type faster FF. :D

A close friend of one of my colleagues was recently quoted in the sun after having won a photo competition. The only problem was, he never said the words they quoted. They just made it up. Don't be surprised if the sun themselves named him "the man who never misses"...

Let's look critically for a moment at the 56 foot left and 36 foot high claim.

At 900 yards, 56 feet is approximately 75 minutes of angle. This is... err... improbable. I don't think I've ever had more than 15 or 20 minutes on at 900 yards, and that was blowing an absolute howler straight across the range.

35 feet high is approximately 47 minutes of angle, which is a little on the high side (if I remember correctly, RG 7.62 mm requires an elevation somewhere in the mid-30's).

And in any case it is unlikely that he would have "aimed" in that manner, he will have merely adjusted his telescopic sight.

But then it is the scum, so what you expect?

armchair_jihad said:
Indeed Crap Spy it did strike me as a bit tame. What suggestions have you?
I'm thinking along the lines of 'XXXXX' because he's killed more Taleban than 'XXXX'.

Filbert Fox said:

Look at the Regiment!! :p :p

Latest Threads