British Snipers and sand, lots of sand

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by armchair_jihad, Aug 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok its the Sun but -

A BRITISH sniper waging war on the Taliban is so deadly he has earned a chilling nickname — The Man Who Never Misses.

The unerring Army sharpshooter has killed 39 rebel fighters single-handedly.

His lethal L96A1 rifle has a range of 1,000 yards and is fitted with electronic sights and laser range-finders.

Earlier this year it was revealed that the Army is creating an elite force of almost 700 snipers, with all 38 infantry battalions required to have an 18-man platoon of sharpshooters by 2008. It will be the first time formal sniper platoons will have existed since the end of the First World War in 1918.

The decision follows the success of British and US sniper teams who have killed dozens of terrorists on recent operations in Afghanistan and Iraq.

In 2003 Royal Marines sniper Corporal Matt Hughes killed an Iraqi gunman from 900 yards with a “wonder shot” in which he aimed 56ft to the left and 35ft high to allow for wind.

article in full

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006350757,00.html

2. In 2003 Royal Marines sniper Corporal Matt Hughes killed an Iraqi gunman from 900 yards with a “wonder shot” in which he aimed 56ft to the left and 35ft high to allow for wind.

That's some serious windage! :eek: what can you say but "Good drills"!
    I was more then happy just to get 8 out of 10 in a Huns head Tgt @ 400m with no wind laying prone on the range at Lydd :oops:

3. Hmm....banned from the pub dartboard!

4. If Cpl Hughes shot is being reported accurately (NB : this IS the Scum, remember) then ... good drills fella!

5. Well done Cpl Hughes. :D

Time to reach out and touch someone. 900 yds sounds pretty good to me :lol:

fastmedic

6. I'm usually 56ft to the left and 35ft high of any target.

7. I did a jolly with my old TA unit providing transport for the snipers course at ITC Brecon many moons ago, I watched them on the 'Range'. Range being, they sit on one hill and shoot at another target on another hill... Really good stuff, needless to say I could have hit the target myself.... honest...... no really I could honest guv...

8. The Sun always supporting our boys, what a first class top notch paper!!

9. Ronnie i not some sarcasem in your tone, but hey its the scum so lets not read it

10. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

There's targets? I thought we just had to try and hit the big sand bank thing at the far end.

11. No its the Green thingies above and behind the big sandy thing

12. Is it only me, or is that not a particularly 'chilling' nickname. I can't imagine the blokes walking up to him and saying "Hi The Man Who Never Misses are you off to scoff?". Surely we could come up with something better than that?

13. 'The Man Who Never Misses'

what a shite nickname, are his mates that thick that they cant think of something better?
    fcuk me, even 'tiddles' is more chilling.

14. Indeed Crap Spy it did strike me as a bit tame. What suggestions have you?

15. You need to type faster FF. :D