British sniper in 2k kill

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by supermatelot, Aug 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. bring up your double post and click 'X' (delete)
  2. As I said on other thread, Persec is no longer
  3. Good shot, but I echo the comments below the article about shite persec. Not a good idea to provide so much info.
  4. That entire article is full of security dramas.
  5. Its a strange one - all the people I know have never really talked about how many "kills" they have had. I would imagine this press release was made via an MOD public relations officer?
    Maybe we are being Americanised? I think this story serves a good purpose though - many people (civvies) view the armed forces as a bunch of people who could not get a better job anywhere else. This story gives just a slight insight into the technicalities of doing certain things.
  6. Agreed, picture, name and next of kin details.

If anyone doesn't think that some loony tune over here will not try and seek revenge they are sadly mistaken.
  7. Bone question but i'm a matelot:

Does each regiment have dedicated snipers? Or is it just an adqual people can get? How does it work exactly? Is there say a requirement for 10 snipers in each and every regt?

8. There is an obvious possibility if you sit and ponder for a shortwhile, however I will not detail it here just incase :)
  9., and I know his whole family
  10. ....................after being hit by the 'lead sleeping tablet'.

11. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a great bit of shooting, but I am outraged by the lack of security for this young man and his family
  12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Didn't it happen to some lads from PWRR
    IIRC police raided a flat and there were some PWRR names on a list identifying them as soldiers who had fought at Danny Boy
    Seem to remember there was a court case when it came up
  13. He may be a excellent shot but he clearly aint the sharpest knife in the drawer if he knowingly allowed his personal/family details to be put in the public domain
  14. Is there the possibility that this was released without his approval?
    I thought the PR dept have to approve all press releases? I know the RN has dedicated PR officers..does the Army? Or is it just one MOD catch-all now?
    I can see how this article will get him a few free beers at his local but... is it feasible to assume he never knew his full details would be published? To be honest - I didn't even consider the persec factor when I posted or read this. I can see the concerns though.