British sniper in 2k kill

As I said on other thread, Persec is no longer

supermatelot said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1206553/British-sniper-tells-moment-shot-Taliban-commander--TWO-KILOMETRES-away.html

This nicely compliments that piece by A A Gill posted the other day.

Edit..seems to have double posted...how do I delete??
Good shot, but I echo the comments below the article about shite persec. Not a good idea to provide so much info.

Its a strange one - all the people I know have never really talked about how many "kills" they have had. I would imagine this press release was made via an MOD public relations officer?
Maybe we are being Americanised? I think this story serves a good purpose though - many people (civvies) view the armed forces as a bunch of people who could not get a better job anywhere else. This story gives just a slight insight into the technicalities of doing certain things.

tearsbeforebedtime said:
That entire article is full of security dramas.
Agreed, picture, name and next of kin details.

If anyone doesn't think that some loony tune over here will not try and seek revenge they are sadly mistaken.

Bone question but i'm a matelot:

Does each regiment have dedicated snipers? Or is it just an adqual people can get? How does it work exactly? Is there say a requirement for 10 snipers in each and every regt?

Cheers

tropper66 said:
As I said on other thread, Persec is no longer
192.com, and I know his whole family

....................after being hit by the 'lead sleeping tablet'.

Classic

There is no doubt in my mind that this is a great bit of shooting, but I am outraged by the lack of security for this young man and his family

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
shortarms said:
tearsbeforebedtime said:
That entire article is full of security dramas.
Agreed, picture, name and next of kin details.

If anyone doesn't think that some loony tune over here will not try and seek revenge they are sadly mistaken.
Didn't it happen to some lads from PWRR
IIRC police raided a flat and there were some PWRR names on a list identifying them as soldiers who had fought at Danny Boy
Seem to remember there was a court case when it came up

He may be a excellent shot but he clearly aint the sharpest knife in the drawer if he knowingly allowed his personal/family details to be put in the public domain

Is there the possibility that this was released without his approval?
I thought the PR dept have to approve all press releases? I know the RN has dedicated PR officers..does the Army? Or is it just one MOD catch-all now?
I can see how this article will get him a few free beers at his local but... is it feasible to assume he never knew his full details would be published? To be honest - I didn't even consider the persec factor when I posted or read this. I can see the concerns though.

auxie said:
He may be a excellent shot but he clearly aint the sharpest knife in the drawer if he knowingly allowed his personal/family details to be put in the public domain
'He did a top job that day - but we are all sick about him going on about it and telling us what a great shot he is.'

Must love the attention :roll:

He probably did know it was being featured, the way the article is structured and him answering Q&A he was excited about being featured in the paper. :D

I'm sorry, I hate this piece.

Well done the man in question but the whole style of the write-up stinks. At the end of the day one man has shot another man in the chest and to write it up like some sort of celebratory sporting achievement is really 'off'.

I think the press wallah who released this needs his wrists slapping, it just reinforces the image that the army is full of people who delight in killing.

We all know that is not the reality but this sort of nonsense just makes it harder to put that point across.

He (my persec instincts just won't allow me to write his name) did an amazingly good professional job and he has every right to feel very proud of what he achieved - first class, but the Mail have really raped it and the MOD knob involved was too thick to prevent it.

And as for the persec stuff, words fail etc etc.

Micawber said:
I'm sorry, I hate this piece.

Well done the man in question but the whole style of the write-up stinks. At the end of the day one man has shot another man in the chest and to write it up like some sort of celebratory sporting achievement is really 'off'.

I think the press wallah who released this needs his wrists slapping, it just reinforces the image that the army is full of people who delight in killing.

We all know that is not the reality but this sort of nonsense just makes it harder to put that point across.

He (my persec instincts just won't allow me to write his name) did an amazingly good professional job and he has every right to feel very proud of what he achieved - first class, but the Mail have really raped it and the MOD knob involved was too thick to prevent it.

And as for the persec stuff, words fail etc etc.
They could have just said "a soldier in Afghanistan has shot an Afghan commander", persec out the window, but the guy still seems to be enjoying it :)

Latest Threads