British Servicewomen Trek for RBL - in the footsteps of Le Souris Blanc, S.O.E

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Next week Suzanne Dando is leading a team of women across The Pyrennees, in the footsteps of WWII SOE Agent Nancy Wake, an SOE Agent who was parachuted into france with the codename La Souris Blanche.

The route follows the 'ratline' which allowed downed Allied airmen, SOE agents and resistants to escape and evade the Gestapo from occupied France into neutral Spain across the mountains.

Last September I decided to raise money for our troops, but I wanted to do something I had never done before.I needed a good idea. I had just finished reading a book about Nancy Wake, and it was all the inspiration I needed!

At the wonderful age of 98 she is a remarkable woman who led an inspiring life. As an SOE agent and resistance fighter Nancy helped thousands of Servicemen escape across the Pyrenees to freedom.

Many owe their lives to Nancy.

Known as the 'White Mouse' and the Gestapo's most wanted, in 1943 she too had to escape the Nazis. On her 6th attempt, she crossed the Pyrenees and into the safety of Spain.

During the Second World War, between the years of 1940-44, more than 33,000 civilians and 6,000 Allied servicemen were forced to tackle the peaks of the Pyrenees in an effort to escape from Nazi-occupied Europe and regain their liberty via neutral Spain.

Nancy once said;

"Freedom is the only thing worth living for. While I was doing that work I used to think that it didn't matter if I died, because without freedom there was no point in living."

This is Our Challenge

In support of The Royal British Legion we will emulate Nancy's escape. This September I will lead my team of extraordinary women across one of the hardest wartime escape routes - Le Chemin De La Liberte ('Freedom Trail')
Guys, amongst those trekking with Suzanne Dando NEXT WEEK for the Poppy Appeal is the first female Naval holder of the Military Cross - LMA Kate Nesbitt RN.

I know it is yet another charity appeal but if you would like to sponsor the team - and learn a bit more please visit the website at;

https://www.bmycharity.com/V2/remembranceexpedition

SOE - setting Europe ablaze since 1940 :)