British security co. sued over death of U.S. soldier

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, Oct 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSL2666274820071026

ONDON (Reuters) - A British private security company is being sued in the United States over the death of a U.S. soldier hit by one of its convoys in Iraq, according to court documents.

The case, believed to be the first of its kind, comes six weeks after Iraq accused the U.S. security company Blackwater of using excessive force in an incident where 17 Iraqis were shot dead in Baghdad.

The case against Erinys, filed in a court in Houston, Texas, on Wednesday and also in London, was brought by the Perry Monroe, father of Christopher Monroe, a U.S. soldier who was struck by an Erinys vehicle while on duty in southern Iraq in October 2005.

msr

2. I wonder if this lawsuit will do more to stop PMC's than the Iraqi Governments complaints.

3. If they want to sue, they should have the good mind to release the pilot tapes of them bombing our lads, otherwise they have no base to put this claim to rest on.

4. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Tell me, how does Mr Monroe go about securing these tapes and why would he need to think of producing these first before he tries to get recognition for his son's wrongful death?

Try reading the post before spouting total bollocks next time.

5. Would the US army and journos have allowed a foreign private security company to get away with killing one of their lads if they thought the company was in any way negligent?
    If there had been any stones to throw this story would have been all over the media ages ago.

It sounds like it was a simply a tragic accident in a dangerous and chaotic city and a bitter and grieving parent is trying to strike back - or pad out his retirement fund with a big payout.

6. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Perhaps I should have stuck 'alleged' in there then? Take the post for it's message, not it's lack of legal accuracy. :roll:

7. You got the hang of being a MOD real quick.. :D

8. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

That's the trouble with you legal types, always splitting hairs. My ex was a barrister and what a monumental pain in the hoop SHE was, pointless arguing with her, always right, always giving me grief making me feel stupid... :wink:

9. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I've been around a little while longer than my profile suggests! :D (Memo to self, must remember to be impartial). :wink: