British Repatriation Image (Wooten-Basset)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DDart, Apr 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Noted that American repatriation ceremonies were posted here. We also recognize the sacrifices of those in common cause.

Image 23.Veteran soldiers salute through the window of a hearse as the funeral cortege carrying the coffins of British soldiers Corporal Dean John, Corporal Graeme Stiff and Lance Corporal Chris Harkett passes through Wootton Bassett, England, following their return to British soil from Aghanistan Saturday, March 21, 2009. Hundreds of people lined the street as the hearses passed carrying the Union Flag-draped coffins of Royal Engineers Corporal Dean John and Corporal Graeme Stiff, both attached to the 1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards, and Lance Corporal Chris Harkett, of 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh, who were killed in Afghanistan. (AP Photo / Dominic Lipinski) #

2. Good photo
  3. I was there. It was strange how everyone was talking ,then a silence fell before the church bell rang and the cars came into view. the RBL gent bellowed " PARADE" and every ex-serviceman snapped up a salute. It was the sharpest one I have thrown up in many years. The guy in the green beret is Ex Foriegn Legion. There was every cap badge you could think of.
  4. Memo to me. Beat the wife for not dusting properly. :crying:

BFG, do they ship old boys in, or are they all local boys?
  5. I was wondering why he had it on the wrong way round... :oops:
  6. They come in from far afield. I went with my wife who is ex WRAF and we traveled from South Wales. I met up with 5 other Ex-Snowdrops whom I new would be there but had not met before. Some had come from London and one was from Bristol.
    I am proud to say the RAF Police Ass is one of the best represented units there.
  7. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

BFG... Thank you for going to Wooton Bassett. You do represent the respect we all have for our fallen. The people of Wooton Bassett and everyone who goes there to see and salute the passing of our fallen military show the finest side of our nature and country.

I do hope, perhaps against the rality of the situation, that there will be no need for any more repatriations through Wooton Bassett.
  8. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Not sure if it is still there, but near where this pic was taken, i spotted this piece of graffiti in the main walkway through to the nearby car park. thought it quite moving.

Attached Files:

9. That look's like a Banksy. As for those photo's on the link, they are excellent.
  10. There are some great photos on that Boston website including a few British ones
  11. hiya mate,how do you find out when exactly the repatration will be,wanting to go down for the Royal Dragoon Guard,who was killed on Friday
  12. Some really good pics there !
  13. Seconded.
    On your last point, I'm guessing that when Lyneham closes the Wooton Bassett repat parades will also stop (I apologise if I'm wrong in assuming this). I go to the parade in Oxford, just outside the John Radcliffe hospital, whenever I am able and there are a group of unsung - not that they expect any plaudits - heroes there who turn out every time. Some of them WWII veterans who wait, sometimes for several hours in fair weather and foul, to pay their respects.

See the above link,when there is a repatriation they will annonce it on here at the top of the page !
  15. thanks mate,cheers for that