British Recipients of the Croix de Guerre

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by pongo6863, Oct 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gentlemen; a serious question. I've been asked to try and find out why a British sailor in WWI was awarded the Croix de Guerre with Palm. I realise this is a unit citation but, unfortunately, neither the date of the award nor the name of the ship is known (I assume it was awarded to a ship although I know some naval units served in the trenches). The sailor's name was Leonard Ernest Lamb, he refused to talk about his experiences and died in the '50s.

If anyone can help by suggesting avenues of research I'd be most grateful.
  2. That's no help. I Googled for over an hour with no definitive results concerning the named individual.
  3. Epic fail BB :)

The only Lamb sailor that I came up with awarded a Croix de guerre was an american awarded it as part of the RFC.
  4. Curses...

I've had a Google; are you sure the name, service etc is correct?
  5. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

1. 'some naval units served in the trenches' - the Royal Naval Division served in Belgium, Gallipoli and France 1914-18. Royal Naval Air Service squadrons served in France. There used to be a privately produced RND magazine but it folded a few years back; copies are I think held by the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton, the Imperial War Museum, and the Admiralty Library in Portsmouth (I have not investigated this myself).

2. A large number of British personnel were awarded a C de G (one my great uncles was one of them). I imagine the Fr obtained suitable names from the British Govt.

3. The VC was sometimes awarded to a ship with a ballot held to decide which individual should receive it (see John Winton, "The Victoria Cross at Sea"). I'm not aware this applied to the C de G.
  6. Gruyere is actually Swiss cheese, not French. That's where you're going wrong.
  7. Thanks to everyone, I've given in and emailed the Frogs!
  8. Send me full details by PM. I have a contact who may be able to help.