British raise army in Desert of Death

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Livin_on_a_prayer, Jun 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Source

2. Bet they are mate!

May be traditional... bet he ends up getting slated for it!! :D

3. Mortars?

4. But of the 1,177 now on the books, 250 are absent without leave, having failed to arrive from training in Kabul or wandered off.

In the desert of death?

Sounds more like desertion.

It doesn't sound as if they're coming back.

Mind you the Beeb would report it differently.

5. Quite common in Pakistan also. I'm currently improving my arabic skills my learning with a friend of the family who is an arab and his, along with his libyan friends, have no idea of personal space or the discomfort you can feel when they are simply being friendly as their culture dictates.

6. Do you hold hands too? Awwwwwww, I love it when males bond! :p

7. First saw this as a young lad in Cyprus. Two TURKS walked passed holding hands down in Famagusta. I was about to make some sarcastic comment when one old hand 'Gripped' me and said "Shut up lad", they can get nasty fast.
    john

8. and before you know it you have an arrse like a blood orange.

9. "have no idea of personal space or the discomfort you can feel when they are simply being friendly as their culture dictates. "

Yep with you on that one!

10. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

And in India as well I think it's funny that these people would kill a mincer in public for being one yet we think that they are mincers for holding hands....ohhh the irony of it

11. These countries still have the death sentance for homsexuality aswell...

12. So it is hand in hand.

Not hand in glove.

13. I attempted to broach this subject with them, alas they simply said "no my friend. It is good yes". With this simple phrase I realised I was going to have to overcome my own social background and be even more tolerant of theirs. After all, as you say, they are just being friendly and would rather die than ever be thought of as homosexual. I suppose I/we who experiance this can also look at it as Cpt Booker has and use it to have better relations with other cultures. (end of touchy feely marlarky)

Doesn't stop me getting unnerved though :(