• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

British Rail Ham Sandwich

So there I was watching Pete Waterman presenting his Waterman on Railways program and they let the cat out of the bag on that huge British Rail con, the British Rail ham sandwich.

This bloke who was a former British Rail chef demonstrated how it's done. When you look at the sandwich where it's been cut in half, you can see "two" slices of ham clearly visible and so you think, hhmm lovely and good value for your dosh and happily munch away on your ham feast.

You've been conned. The ex B.R. chef showed you how. What they do is cut a slice of ham in half and place it in the middle of the sandwich so that when it's cut in half it looks like you have got two whole slices for your money. They save money because they only use 3 slices of ham for 2 sandwiches instead of 4 slices.

The thieving bastards. I'm 55 and I've only just found out after all these years that I've been conned. Imagine how I feel!

Anybody else come across any sharp catering tricks that we should keep our eyes open for?

Personally I'd love to see a Kentucky Fried Chicken before it's slotted. They've got tiny little breasts, must have at least three or four legs (you never get breast bits), skinny wings and the wierd rib cage bit (with no fooking meat on it) which looks like no part of any animal I've ever seen.

Having said that they do taste good especially when soaking up beer!

Another sharp catering trick is my missus passing off the shite she conjours up as food

Anyone who fails to provide for himself before a rail journey is a fool.

Except for tea, that is quite good.
I don't know about that, BR used to do a very good cooked breakfast on the morning Pullman from Manchester to London, had some cracking Kippers on it!
Must admit I agree about KFC, the breasts & legs are so tiny they look as though they come from the feral pigeons found in most towns & cities :-(

We need a thread about buffet cars.

I will start it off.

Mk1 coaching stock, which was better: the Restaurant, Minature Buffet or the Brake, Standard, open (Micro-buffet)?

If you want to know about catering ripoffs, it is instructive to have a leaf through the catalogues for Booker Catering and Brake Brothers before dining out. There you can see the dishes that will be placed before you, precooked and vac-packed and only needing to be heated in microwave or water-bath by whatever scrofulous school leaver or syphilitic Turk they have employed as 'chef'.

The sly trick of using a paint brush to spread warm soft butter on bread as thinly as possible to make the butter last for a few more loaves.

Personally I'd love to see a Kentucky Fried Chicken before it's slotted. They've got tiny little breasts, must have at least three or four legs (you never get breast bits), skinny wings and the wierd rib cage bit (with no fooking meat on it) which looks like no part of any animal I've ever seen.

Having said that they do taste good especially when soaking up beer!

Another sharp catering trick is my missus passing off the shite she conjours up as food
I've always thought they were skittery wee bits of Ethiopian pigeon so I make it myself. Got a recipe for KFC batter, blend of herbs and spices my arrse. It is really smashing when you use it with proper chicken and as after-pub-grub its in a league of its own :)

As for rip offs, the sachets of tomato sauce are well up there IMO. Once you have hacksawed it open you get a tiny pishy dribble and if you actually want some sauce on your scoff then you need to open about 15 of the fuckers.

So there I was watching Pete Waterman presenting his Waterman on Railways program and they let the cat out of the bag on that huge British Rail con, the British Rail ham sandwich.

This bloke who was a former British Rail chef demonstrated how it's done. When you look at the sandwich where it's been cut in half, you can see "two" slices of ham clearly visible and so you think, hhmm lovely and good value for your dosh and happily munch away on your ham feast.

You've been conned. The ex B.R. chef showed you how. What they do is cut a slice of ham in half and place it in the middle of the sandwich so that when it's cut in half it looks like you have got two whole slices for your money. They save money because they only use 3 slices of ham for 2 sandwiches instead of 4 slices.

The thieving bastards. I'm 55 and I've only just found out after all these years that I've been conned. Imagine how I feel!

Anybody else come across any sharp catering tricks that we should keep our eyes open for?

The RLC practice of calling c*nts Chefs!!

G

goatrutar

at least here we don't call them chefs. they're just cooks,baitlayers,fitter and turners ect.

Eric, whats in the kfc batter?

at least here we don't call them chefs. they're just cooks,baitlayers,fitter and turners ect.

Eric, whats in the kfc batter?
Flour, salt, pepper, paprika and MSG.

Don't ask me where to get MSG or what it is, it was an ex-missus's mum who gave me the recipe and who made it, I think she acquired some of it from her work.

How about this old east end cafe trick, take only two slices of ham and overlap them in the middle of the slice of bread only!

Cut in half, two slices at the business end. but only 1 slice throughout!

Cushti!

You can get MSG (monosodiumglutamate) from any Asian/Chinese supermarket or at least you used to be able to.

On the subject of sarnies, the latest "interesting" ingredient is Analog Cheese this stuff hasn't been any where near a cow/sheep/goat but is made from Soyabeans and such like shite.

Found in or on a very very wide range of "cheese" foodstuffs..

Latest Threads