British Purple Heart

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tattybadger, Jul 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Col Richard Kemp has penned a sound letter to the Times today about a British equivalent of the Purple Heart:

British PH

And I fully agree with him.

Richard Kemp (if it is ex CO of one of the Fus Bns) was a superb CO and a great bloke; he talks sense.

2. Think of the cost !Mind you if the Goverment backdated it to 2003 wouldn't that be an eye opener.Be a lot harder to sell the current conflict and lack of resources.

3. Engraved on the back 'Presented for crap cam and concealment!' :)

4. Don't think a crappy Colonel will have any sway. Why have such a silly medal anyway.

5. Stupid question coming from an American POV

As a collector of militaria, I know the British Army used to have vertical gold wound stripes on the left sleeve of uniforms in WW's I & II. when did that get done away with?

6. When they were told to remove them from their sleeves?

7. The Government will very definately NOT want one as the public will shit a brick when they see how many get dished out.

The Liebour spin machine can't hide the dead, but it's doing it's damned best to keep the wounded figures from the public.

8. I don't know. For example- those who have returned physically unscathed yet carry the scars of PTSD for the rest of their lives- would they qualify?

9. If you need info, google it from MOD Figures
    For the period 1 January 2006 to 30 June 2009: Afganistan

Centrally available records show that:

•696 UK military and civilian personnel were admitted to UK Field Hospitals and categorised as Wounded in Action, including as a result of hostile action.
    •1,859 UK military and civilian personnel were admitted to UK Field Hospitals for disease or non-battle injuries.
    •87 UK personnel were categorised as Very Seriously Injured from all causes excluding disease.
    •117 UK personnel were categorised as Seriously Injured from all causes excluding disease.
    •2,192 UK personnel were aeromedically evacuated from Afghanistan on medical grounds, whatever the reason.

For the period from 1 January 2006 to 30 June 2009: Iraq

Centrally available records show that:

•315 UK military and civilian personnel were admitted to UK Field Hospitals and categorised as Wounded in Action, including as a result of hostile action.
    •3,276 UK military and civilian personnel were admitted to UK Field Hospitals for Disease or Non Battle Injuries.
    •40 UK personnel were categorised as Very Seriously Injured from all causes excluding disease.
    •71 UK military and civilian personnel were categorised as Seriously Injured from all causes excluding disease.
    •1,962 UK military and civilian personnel were aeromedically evacuated from Iraq on medical grounds, whatever the reason

10. Will I qualify with the piles I suffered with out there?

11. So you think the only way Your Soldiers can be wounded/killed is due to their own fault and negligence?

WTF?

12. If it's the same Richard Kemp who's been in the media recently, I had the pleasure of his company on Op Granby. He was a Royal Anglian then though...?

13. Didn't you notice the smiley at the end or did you purposely ignore that to vent your anger?

14. Well, I've heard that the Cousins can qualify for a medal if they're treated for a boil on their arses in the field so you may be on to a winner. :D

15. I do beg yours and his pardon. He was CO of a R Anglian Bn in Londonderry and I was down the rd from him. A great bloke IMO.