British Purple Heart

Col Richard Kemp has penned a sound letter to the Times today about a British equivalent of the Purple Heart:

British PH

And I fully agree with him.

Richard Kemp (if it is ex CO of one of the Fus Bns) was a superb CO and a great bloke; he talks sense.

Think of the cost !Mind you if the Goverment backdated it to 2003 wouldn't that be an eye opener.Be a lot harder to sell the current conflict and lack of resources.

Stupid question coming from an American POV

As a collector of militaria, I know the British Army used to have vertical gold wound stripes on the left sleeve of uniforms in WW's I & II. when did that get done away with?

Goldbricker said:
As a collector of militaria, I know the British Army used to have vertical gold wound stripes on the left sleeve of uniforms in WW's I & II. when did that get done away with?
When they were told to remove them from their sleeves?

The Government will very definately NOT want one as the public will shit a brick when they see how many get dished out.

The Liebour spin machine can't hide the dead, but it's doing it's damned best to keep the wounded figures from the public.

I don't know. For example- those who have returned physically unscathed yet carry the scars of PTSD for the rest of their lives- would they qualify?

If you need info, google it from MOD Figures
For the period 1 January 2006 to 30 June 2009: Afganistan

Centrally available records show that:

•696 UK military and civilian personnel were admitted to UK Field Hospitals and categorised as Wounded in Action, including as a result of hostile action.
•1,859 UK military and civilian personnel were admitted to UK Field Hospitals for disease or non-battle injuries.
•87 UK personnel were categorised as Very Seriously Injured from all causes excluding disease.
•117 UK personnel were categorised as Seriously Injured from all causes excluding disease.
•2,192 UK personnel were aeromedically evacuated from Afghanistan on medical grounds, whatever the reason.

For the period from 1 January 2006 to 30 June 2009: Iraq

Centrally available records show that:

•315 UK military and civilian personnel were admitted to UK Field Hospitals and categorised as Wounded in Action, including as a result of hostile action.
•3,276 UK military and civilian personnel were admitted to UK Field Hospitals for Disease or Non Battle Injuries.
•40 UK personnel were categorised as Very Seriously Injured from all causes excluding disease.
•71 UK military and civilian personnel were categorised as Seriously Injured from all causes excluding disease.
•1,962 UK military and civilian personnel were aeromedically evacuated from Iraq on medical grounds, whatever the reason

CC_TA said:
Engraved on the back 'Presented for crap cam and concealment!' :)
So you think the only way Your Soldiers can be wounded/killed is due to their own fault and negligence?

WTF?

tattybadger said:
Col Richard Kemp has penned a sound letter to the Times today about a British equivalent of the Purple Heart:

British PH

Richard Kemp (if it is ex CO of one of the Fus Bns) was a superb CO and a great bloke; he talks sense.
If it's the same Richard Kemp who's been in the media recently, I had the pleasure of his company on Op Granby. He was a Royal Anglian then though...?

Fallschirmjager said:
Magdovus said:
I don't know. For example- those who have returned physically unscathed yet carry the scars of PTSD for the rest of their lives- would they qualify?
Will I qualify with the piles I suffered with out there?

Well, I've heard that the Cousins can qualify for a medal if they're treated for a boil on their arses in the field so you may be on to a winner. :D

CaptainWillard said:
tattybadger said:

British PH

If it's the same Richard Kemp who's been in the media recently, I had the pleasure of his company on Op Granby. He was a Royal Anglian then though...?
I do beg yours and his pardon. He was CO of a R Anglian Bn in Londonderry and I was down the rd from him. A great bloke IMO.

Fallschirmjager said:
Goldbricker said:
So you think the only way Your Soldiers can be wounded/killed is due to their own fault and negligence?

WTF?
Didn't you notice the smiley at the end or did you purposely ignore that to vent your anger?
Well between his post and your calling it a silly award, the perception is denigrating of those who are wounded in action. If your post was to call Our Purple Heart medal silly, than your a cnut. I've seen too many men maimed/killed to make light of recognizing them. We dont hand it out like MRE's for having a cough. I would Presume that British Soldiers would hold their mates wounded/killed in a manner befitting such sacrifices.

I guess I was wrong.

Goldbricker said:
Well between his post and your calling it a silly award, the perception is denigrating of those who are wounded in action. If your post was to call Our Purple Heart medal silly, than your a cnut. I've seen too many men maimed/killed to make light of recognizing them. We dont hand it out like MRE's for having a cough. I would Presume that British Soldiers would hold their mates wounded/killed in a manner befitting such sacrifices.

I guess I was wrong.
I'm sure if someone is that badly injured, they will have a permanent scar to remind them of it, so no need for a silly award. I'd bet they'd appreciate some decent rehabilitation and proper compensation and financial support much more than badge.

I can't see a need for something like this, its been done to death on here before.

(I'll only change my mind when I stub my toe when I'm on tour and realise I would qualify for it)

tattybadger said:
CaptainWillard said:
tattybadger said:

British PH

I do beg yours and his pardon. He was CO of a R Anglian Bn in Londonderry and I was down the rd from him. A great bloke IMO.

No dramas - and I totally agree with your assessment of the guy. About a year after the Gulf we were back on tour coincidently in the same place as he was. He heard we were in and came over to take my mucker and me (both JNCOs) out for a beer (or 20). Definitely one of the better officers I have met during my career.

CW

Quis Separabit

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Goldbricker said:
Fallschirmjager said:
Goldbricker said:

WTF?
Didn't you notice the smiley at the end or did you purposely ignore that to vent your anger?

I guess I was wrong.
Goldbricker. It's squaddie black humour. Understood only by UK mil and allowable. Relax.