British pupils cannot locate UK

A bit worrying!!!

One in five British children cannot find the UK on a map of the world, a magazine's research suggests.

National Geographic Kids said it also found fewer than two thirds of children were able to correctly locate the US.

The magazine, which questioned more than 1,000 six to 14-year-olds, said it found several London children did not know they lived in England's capital.

Teachers' union the NASUWT said the findings were "nonsense" and did not reflect staff and pupils' hard work.

National Geographic Kids also discovered 86% of the children interviewed failed to identify Iraq and one in 10 could not name a single continent.

Boys seemed to show a slightly better geographical knowledge than girls, with 65% able to locate a number of countries around the world compared with 63% of girls.

Scottish children appeared to be the most geographically aware with 67% able to point out the most countries, out of England, the US, France, China and Iraq, on a world map.

Professor Alan Smithers, director of the Centre for Education and Employment Research at Buckingham University, said the findings were "rather frightening".

"These results underline the need for education to concentrate on the essentials.

"How are children going to be able to get as much out of their life if they fail to have an understanding of the shape of the world?"
Beeb

Professor Alan Smithers, director of the Centre for Education and Employment Research at Buckingham University, said the findings were "rather frightening".

Hardly an authority on the subject. Buckingham University is to education what fried mars bars are to haute cuisine.

Just grabbed my 7 yr old and placed a world map in front of her, she pointed out the UK with no hesitation at all.

Mind you she can set a map to ground, give 6 figure grid references, take grid bearings and she knows how to convert grid to mag. So maybe she's not the best basis for a control group. :lol:

On the plus side...

If they don't know where anything is outside Britain... or how to get there by looking at that big ball'y globe thing... they won't bomb it... and the soldiers might all be home for Christmas for once.

Nor will they go anywhere, so the British seaside resorts will throng with thong life... making pensioners very happy (and reducing the tax burden due to steep rise in heart attacks)

BaldricksBullet said:
If they don't know where anything is outside Britain... or how to get there by looking at that big ball'y globe thing... they won't bomb it
Well not knowing anything outside U.S. didn't seem to stop GWB

This is not anything new. I can remember my Mum who was a teacher back in the 70s telling me exactly the same anecdotes about teaching what I guess were the parents of today's chav scum.

Stooge said:
BaldricksBullet said:
If they don't know where anything is outside Britain... or how to get there by looking at that big ball'y globe thing... they won't bomb it
Well not knowing anything outside U.S. didn't seem to stop GWB
Good point.... I'm starting to think the man must have some pretty clever advisors.

said it found several London children did not know they lived in England's capital.

Ask the same 'London Children' where Islamabad or Mecca (not the Bingo capital) is and I'm sure the % would be higher...........

Just an observation.

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Swiss_Toni said:
This is not anything new. I can remember my Mum who was a teacher back in the 70s telling me exactly the same anecdotes about teaching what I guess were the parents of today's chav scum.
More like the grand parents of the current lot