British Prisoner Killed During Rescue Attempt

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by FNUSNU, Mar 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hopefully plenty of the captors got the good news as well.

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

CMD is saying that they were murdered before a rescue could be effected.

3. Hopeful plenty of the captors got lifted so the Nigerian intelligence service can kill them to death at leisure after they have squeeled their every memory since nursery school.

4. R.I.P. and sincere condolences to the families friends.

BBC reporting that the kidnappers have been captured - accidentally, they were not killed.

With Vince Cable in charge of the present apology for a government, stand-by for the 'kidnappers' and their families to be given asylum in GB; and the full range of 'benefits'.

I am loath to express my cynicism in this tragic matter, but that is how it appears to me. The truth is far better out than in.

5. "British forces supported the Nigerian-led operation, Mr Cameron said." - BBC News

Interesting to see how this is played later on re: not commenting on SF activities (unless there is some reflected glory for the government).

6. The support could have been intelligencelogistics etc not necessarily SF, I suppose it's all a moot point anyway now.

7. Wonder what wrong here , guess Them did not get enough time?

"Cameron said that earlier on Thursday he authorised British involvement in the rescue of the two hostages after "credible information" was received about their location. But early indications suggest they had been killed before they could be rescued."

British and Italian hostages killed in Nigeria | World news | The Guardian

8. According to the Telegraph, SBS led the assault.

British hostage killed in failed SBS rescue bid - Telegraph

Condolences to the family of the British and Italian hostages, who have been killed. Those who ordered the rescue, or tried to carry it out, did so with the best of intensions. Such operations are never easy or risk free, and the ending was not what we wanted, but I for one believe we should not negotiate with hostage takers and or terrorists as to do so encourages further action - as we see in Somalia.

• Like Like x 1
  9. News seems to be reporting that all of the captors are dead.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Italians can do one. They haven't got anything or anone near the quality of the SBS.

Consulting with the Italians on military matters is a joke in itself.

11. COMSUBIN?...they've been at the whole naval sneaky beaky stuff since WWI.

12. WTF?

The Nigerian military couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. They're far more used to shooting their own citizens in public.

Anything they were involved in just HAD to be compromised beforehand, probably by one or more of those taking part in the op.

'Lake Nigeria, a semi-freshwater crater-shaped body of water 750 miles across' sounds good to me.

RIP the poor victims.

tac