British POWs "liberated" by the Russians

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by blonde_guy, Jan 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I watched an interesting documentary on the thousands of US servicemen liberated from the Germans in WW2 by the Red Army who subsequently were never returned. Similarly of those captured in the Korean & Vietnam wars making their way into Russian hands.

It briefly (only briefly) mentioned that British POWs were also liberated by the Russians.

What was their fate? Thousands still missing?
  2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

IIRC they held them until the end of the war pretty much ensuring theyu got what they wanted with regards to territory and the return of Ukranians etc who were hiding out in British and U.S. camps

IIRC all the POW's got returned though
  3. The guys that disapeared a la Nelson de Mille's "The Charm School" were all supposed to be USAF Reconnaissance that got shot down in the 1940's - 1960's. And we're talking a minute amount if they actually survived being shot down. Nothing during Ze Var. Our chaps never got caught by the Russian SAMs when they were flying the U2 recon missions 1960-1962. This was when the US president banned overflights after Gary Powers so the CIA got the RAF to fly them on their behalf.

Re Korea, The Chinese and North Koreans Killed so many by starvation in POW camps during 1950 that the missing are due to the Commies probably not giving a flying **** about burying the evil capitalists properly. To be fair they probably didn't give their own much more of a send off. Vietnam I recon the missing are due to a mixture of Jungle being a good place to hide a body, stacking into the ground at 800 Mph, vast quantities of explosives and the odd poor bastard who saw Uncle Ho's bog roll delivery or the bunch of SAM's storred in the kiddies hospital and was executed on the spot to hide the secret (commies being more paranoid than most).

I find it hard to believe there hasn't been 1 of the many defectors who said to his debriefer "You'll never guess who I met in Lubyanka Prison".
  4. Raoul Wallenberg?
  5. Goldbricker. He was Swedish, not American or British. You've also got the Japs that Kim Il Jong kidnapped. But we're talking servicemen here. Not civvies.
  6. I think I'll have to add that to my reading list, thanks
  7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I would be suprised at that amount
    The Germans kept records and informed the Red Cross who they were holding
    As the Soviets approached they marched most POW's away from the Russians as they advanced and the Germans retreated about 3500 men died on these marches

On their return many filled in a POW questionaire so I'm sure that if loads had been left behind then a discrepancy would have ben noted
  8. I remember reading Fly For Your Life the biography of Wing Commander RRS Tuck when he did a bunk from the erics in the chaos of the POW moves in 1945 he was Liberated/captured by the Soviets and made to fight as an Infantryman with the russians from which he did a bunk again and made his own way to Odessa I would think that was not an isolated incident
  9. The amount surprised me too, although I did read once that a large group of British POWs was marched back East and never seen or heard from again. Apparantly they believed they were German??
  10. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Try "No Citation" by James Allan, Angus & Robertson 1955, Panther ppbk 1956. Allan was a Redcap captured at Dunkirk, escaped EAST from a Polish PoW camp, jailed by the NKVD, released to the British Embassy after rotting in solitary in the Lubianka & came home with the Beaverbrook mission of 1941.
  12. squeekingsapper

squeekingsapper LE Reviewer

I seem to remember watching a programme years ago that was talking about the oddities that occoured at the end of world war two that pre-dated but foretold the coming cold war. In this programme they mentioned such things like the Germans surrendering at a river to the western allies (I can't remember if it was British or American) and then lining up their artillery on the opposite bank and shelling the Russains in plain view of the western force to cover their rearguard and retreating forces as they made their way west to surrender in the west.

This programme also went onto mention dogfights with British and American aircraft against Russain aircraft, with the Russians as I understand it being told to try and slow down the western allies advance so that they could capture and then hopefully retain more ground in Europe. I had also heard that Uncle Joe had ordered that all western POW's were to be taken east to be used as bargaining chips to further his ambitions in Europe.

I suppose it is no odder in the grand scheme of things than the truce that was brokered when the British came across Belsen where they worked with the (armed) Germans for something like a week until they were in a position to take over properly, whereby they gave the Germans safe passage back to the front lines to again take up the fight.

As a slight aside to this, I have often wondered how many British soldiers were captured or repatriated from the BEF venture (Arkangel etc) to Russia during their civil war throughout 1918-1920?.
  13. I don't believe you can point to a single shred of evidence for any of your strange assertions: if you did indeed see any of them on a TV programme it must have been a Fox channel.
  14. Thats a slightly garbled version of what happened when the remains of the German 9th and 12th Armies that had managed to cross the Soviet line of march south of Berlin reached the Elbe river. A rearguard of these armies formed a perimeter/ line on the eastern bank and fought off Russian approaches, whilst a huge mass of soldiers and civilian refugees crossed the Elbe and surrendered to the US 9th Army. Thus, in effect, the German armies were fighting on one side and surrendering on the other. The US soldiers on the west bank could indeed hear the arty battle on the east bank, although it was some way off. The incident naturally caused some tension between the Soviet and Allied authorities.