British PM Denies Rejecting Army Request for Troops

Note the caveat he uses in bold. Who will determine if troops are "availablei?"

British PM Denies Rejecting Army Request for Troops
AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE
Published: 6 Oct 2009 12:32

LONDON - Embattled British Prime Minister Gordon Brown's office dismissed as "simply wrong" a claim Oct. 6 by the former head of the army that he rejected a request for more troops in Afghanistan this year.

Gen. Richard Dannatt, who retired last month, told The Sun newspaper that a call for 2,000 extra soldiers had been declined and that the forces had to fight on with "at least part of one arm" tied behind their back.

A Downing Street spokesman said: "Any suggestion that the prime minister has been unwilling to deploy more troops or provide the necessary resources is simply wrong.

"The key point here is that there were 7,800 troops in Afghanistan in the summer of 2007. Now there are over 9,000."

Dannatt said he was "disappointed" with ministers. "The military advice has been for an uplift since the beginning of 2009," he told The Sun.

"If the military says we need more troops and we can supply them, then frankly they should take that advice and deploy up to the level we recommend.

"If it means finding more resources and putting more energy in, let's do it. ... Don't let's do it with at least part of one arm tied behind one's back."

Brown is facing persistent questions over the scope and purpose of the British military's role in Afghanistan amid a swiftly rising death toll.

U.S. President Barack Obama is currently considering a request from U.S. commander Gen. Stanley McChrystal for more troops and is considering future strategy.

Responding to Dannatt's comments, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said it would review troop numbers in the wake of Afghanistan's presidential elections, which were held in August.

"We have long said that we would review troop numbers after the Afghan election, in light of military advice, the situation on the ground, and the outcome of international discussions on the McChrystal review," it said.

"Any decisions on future troop levels would be subject to ... discussions with allies."

Armed forces minister Bill Rammell said there were always discussions between military chiefs and politicians on resources - but warned that it was dangerous when rows erupted in public.

"Yes, conversations took place between ministers and service chiefs and ultimately with No. 10" Downing Street, Brown's office, he said on the sidelines of the main opposition Conservatives' conference in Manchester, northwest England.

"A number of options were looked at and the net result of that was that we uplifted troops by 700," he added.

But he added: "The detail of that I'm not going to get into because the day you have service chiefs and defence ministers arguing with each other publicly is the day you have real problems within the military.

"It will undermine our armed forces and undermine our soldiers on the frontline."

Dannatt had previously embarrassed the government while in his former job with straight-talking calls for more resources.

The row came as the MoD announced the death of another soldier in southern Afghanistan, taking to 220 the number of British troops who have died since operations against the Taliban extremists began in October 2001.

The soldier, from 1st Battalion, The Grenadier Guards, was killed Oct. 5 on a foot patrol in the Nad Ali area of Helmand province, the MoD said.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4311463&c=ASI&s=TOP

Talking of denying people things, I feel the burning question is whether the Army officer quoted by David Cameron is an Arrser!

ashie said:
mnairb said:
I knew he was lying - I saw his lips move.
You mean Tory Peer-elect Dannatt?
I am in the US and of course don't have access to as much UK information as you but what evidence is there that Gen. Dannatt has lied?

ted-stryker said:
JJ

If you do a quick search of ashie's previous posts you'll never feel the need to respond to him/her again
hope this helps
Uh oh--a bit like stepping in a steaming pile left by my loving dogs? Oh well, I will hunker down in hull defilade. I thought the MODS protected us with appropriate labels (ACHTUNG MINEN!) like O2 Thief?

Just what is your man Broon smoking? There's undeniable proof that he rejected a request for financing more wokkas. There's also undeniable proof that he refused milligans of quids in funding for the troops. The bind moggles, or words to that effect.

MsG

ashie said:
mnairb said:
Ashie, I will try to use words you will understand:

Fuck off and die! That was a very cheap shot at an honourable man, in every sense of the words! Whereas, you aren't even as elevated as dog sh*t on someones' shoes.

Recce19 said:
ashie said:
mnairb said:

Fuck off and die! That was a very cheap shot at an honourable man, in every sense of the words! Whereas, you aren't even as elevated as dog sh*t on someones' shoes.
Actually, for all those lovies of dannat.

he only made his stance AFTER he had his pension.

he now has a very nice job ponsing about in a stone building in london at how much ££££££££ per year and a grace and favour appartment, all free. but sadly no moat to claim a duck pond allowance.

How much will he be paid for his obvious leaning to the coservatives?

Will he get a job when the conservatives take power alah mandelbum = £250.000 secretary job blah fecking blah.

This man is made from the same dogshoite as Lord mandelbum.

Ask him when and where HE AND to whome he made the requests for more " fill in the blanks".

Between 2005 and 2008 in afgoonistan, all requests were ignored.

Guesss who was in charge from 2005 to 2008.

Just ask the feckwit at what stage as an officer or THE officer at the MOD he found that the BRITISH TROOPS NEEDED HELP?????

This also includes ALL the officers who where at the MOD during this time.

A totall disregard of thier "charter" to fill thier pensions leaves me sick and puke on them.

I would not piss on any officer from this period, even if he was on fire.

I would however run to the nearest petrol station to fill any object that would help any process.

Recce19 said:
ashie said:
mnairb said:

Can i borrow your rose tinted glasses the next time i look at teflon tony blair and his slimiy wife?

After all i want to be blinded by love and stupidity.

Recce19 said:
ashie said:
mnairb said:

No big surprise that you defend the Tory Lord-elect Dannatt. His behaviour is hardly honourable. It is pure politics.

ashie said:
Recce19 said:
ashie said:
mnairb said:

No big surprise that you defend the Tory Lord-elect Dannatt. His behaviour is hardly honourable. It is pure politics.
Arshie....fightend that the tory boys will stop your benefit...LOL scrounging off taxpayers again, wasting oxygen...... :?