British Order of Battle, 1945

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jimmys_best_mate, Jul 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Random question but Google seems to have failed me unless I'm willing to spend a long time combining data from dozens of different websites.

Does anyone have the orders of battle for UK forces (RN, British Army, RAF) in 1945 (or know where you can get them from on one site)?

Ideally I'm looking for units (battalion, ship, squadron), where they were and (in the case of the RAF especially) what equipment they were issued with (ie Spitfire, Meteor, Lancaster, whatever. I'm not expecting the entire equipment table).

Cheers for any help.

2. I don't recall any one website having everything or book for that matter. But let me see if I can point you in the right direction.

Army

This should have where every Division and its constituent Bns were in May & August 1945

Divisions of the British Army, 1939-45 (Datafile): Amazon.co.uk: M.A. Bellis: Books

The author has several other books if you want EVERY Bn/Regts location

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0034P30HS/?tag=armrumser-21

Regiments of the British Army, 1939-45: Artillery: Amazon.co.uk: M.A. Bellis: Books

RAF

This book has it all, as it says in the title

RAF Squadrons: A Comprehensive Record of the Movement and Equipment of All RAF Squadrons and Their Antecedents Since 1912: Amazon.co.uk: C.G. Jefford: Books

RN

Is a bit more problematic as ships were already going out of commission in 1945.
    Let me get back to you when I get home.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1